Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD-RW Burns Blank CD-R Disks 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zipfactor

Technical User
Sep 23, 2003
GB
Roxio Easy CD Creator 5
Windows 98SE
12X-8X-32X CED-8120B

Hi,
Please help me with this problem. I have a machine that has a problem burning cd-r's. When trying to create data cd's, the cd-rw will give all the indications that it is burning the cd. When it is finished, the cd-r is warm, you can see where it has been burnt, but it has no visible files on it (on any cd-rom, cd-rw or DVD drive that I have tested it in). The same happens if I try to copy a cd.

Yet, it will drag-n-drop to a CD-RW disk with no problem.

I have done a clean install on the OS. I have also tried all the software setting permutations for closing the disks and leaving them open.

Please help.

Cheers.

Is the CD-RW drive on the same IDE channel as you hard drive?
This shouldn't affect it as much as your problem, but it is just a thought.

Thanks. I will have a look at playing with the IDE channels tomorrow.

Right.

I have put the burner as master on its own channel and it is still not working.

I have also upgraded the firmware to the latest version and it is still not working.

Anyone else with any thoughts?

Thanks.

It could be the way that CD-R's are burnt.
I had a similar problem with an old Yamaha SCSI CD-R drive.
The CD looked like it had been burnt, but no data was present on the disc.
Maybe the CD-R side of the drive is not functioning correctly. How old is the drive? If it is still under warranty, get it replaced. If not I think the only option maybe to get a new one.

Thanks for the response kestrel1. I decided that if it had something to with the way it was being burnt it had to be down to either the disks I was using or the software I was burning with.

I tried different branded disks, no luck. I installed Nero and it worked first time. I've no idea why that should make a difference but it has.

Thanks again.

What Software did you use before?
I have always used NERO Burning ROM. I personally think that it is the best burning software available. I have tried others but really didn't like them. I can't understand why the software would make a difference, but hey if it works. Good job you tried that before getting another drive. I will bear the software in mind for future reference.
Thanks

I have had the same problem with a Phillips 24x10x40 cdrw drive. EZCD 5 Platinum acted like it was burning the cd properly, but it was a coaster afterwards. The software works fine on my other pc with a Sony drive (same speed rating). Nero works fine on the Phillips drive, no coasters created yet. Weird, since the Phillips came with EZCD software.

As I said before NERO is the best software that I have ever come across. I have tried other software, but keep coming back to NERO. Version 6 is now available. I have tried the demo & it looks great. I think I will buy it when I can afford it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back