Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD RW and CD R on same cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arden

Instructor
Aug 24, 2001
CA
I am wondering if it matters which one is set to slave and which one master on the secondary IDE cable?

I have the CD writer set to master, but would be interested on any thoughts....

Can't put either one on the HD cable as I'm using 2 HD's.

Thanks!
Arden

You can always try different configurations, but if it ain't broke....

I Have both CD-RW& CD-ROM on the same cable with the CD-RW set as master I think the burning software [NERO] needs the RW set as master.
nightowl17

I am having no problems, thank you for your posts.
I am also using Nero, and think it is a good program!

if you want to put both cd drives on the same ide channel, i suggest you put the rewriter as master and cdr as slave.
this has worked the best for me in the past.
or you can put the hard drives on separate ide channels and have the both hard drives as masters and the cds as slaves.

knoweldge is power, spread the power

As a system builder I would say in general CDRW's like being master.
Don't worry about your writer and CDrom device being on the same cable, this used to be an issue before burnproof technology appeared to smooth out the problems.
Martin Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

I have both hard drives on one IDE cable respectively as MASTER & SLAVE.

On the other IDE cable I have the CD-ROM as MASTER & the burner as SLAVE.

One constant problem I keep encountering is my burning software always states that I need to put a disk in the drive or that the drive is not ready when it's time to do the actual burn after it has scan thru the trax.

Any suggestions...

I have built dozens of systems with CDROMs and CD-RW drives on the same IDE channel, and never had a problem in either configuration - Slave or Master. Generally, I assign the CD-RW as the master, but it technically doesn't matter.

I've seen others say they've noticed a difference having the drive as a master, but it really shouldn't matter. Think of Master and Slave as New York and Los Angeles. Neither one is better than the other. They're just two different locations.

There may be some rare cases where a CD-RW drive "likes" to be in the master location, but the cases are RARE and it is wrong to imply that you have to do that...

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

It don't matter so long as you don't put a HDD with a CDR*** on the same IDE. HDD's are much much quicker than any CDR****, so don't slow them down.

The rest is unimportant. Hidden DOS secret: Add BUGS=OFF to your CONFIG.SYS
Phil
Please tell me if the answer I gave was correct. Without your feedback I won't know.

RE: HIDDEN DOS SECRECT - Add BUGS=OFF to CONFIG.SYS

EXPLAIN PLEASE...

Almost! DOS Tip #1701: Add DEVICE=FNGRCROS.SYS to CONFIG.SYS
Phil
Please tell me if the answer I gave was correct. Without your feedback I won't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back