Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cd-roms not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

junkyarddiver

Technical User
Oct 27, 2002
US
I'm reinstalling Win XP Pro on a friends comp. I had problems getting the cd to run, I had to alternate between 2 Win XP disks to get the files to load. It would copy some files, stop, give me an error message saying it could not copy a file, I would put in the other cd it would copy the file, a few more, stop, give me the same message, I would change cds, and it would do it all over again until the very end of setup when the cd just sat there making a buzzing noize. I thought the cd drive was no good so I removed the cd burner, and hooked the cdrom up by itself, it worked fine, finished the XP install, installed Norton Internet Security, went to install the driver for a memory stick and the cd drive just dissapeared. It's not in My Computer,the Device Manager, Add Hardware Wizard can't find it, DOS can't find the drive specified, I don't see any settings for it in the BIOS. Changed the cable, put the cd-rw back in, put the cd-rom from my computer in, no change. Any ideas? I'm at my wits end. . It's a 500 MHz Pentium III, the cd-rw is a SONY, the cd-rom is a Mitsumi and my cd-rom is a LITE-On. Thanks in advance.

Bought a Dual Channel Ultra ATA/133 Controller. Problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back