Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cd rom unrecognized w2000 pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

donjabba

Technical User
Oct 3, 2002
US
w2000 pro OS. factory installed samsung dvd-cdrom. installed liteon cd-rw and both worked fine. burn went bad, had to reboot. bios sees cd drives, dos sees neither, my computer shows no cd drives and device manager shows an "!" over both drives with an error code 31 "windows failed to load drivers". i uninstalled both drives and rebooted. reinstalled only the samsung after changing ide controllers to factory setting (i.e, cd rom is master) and I get the same problems, bios sees it, dos doesn't, my computer shows only, a:\ drive, c:\ drive and control panel and device manager shows a "!" over the samsung with the same error code 31. i've uninstalled the burner software. the drivers are where they should be. what did the burner do to my system? thanks

If DOS doesn't see the drives then the drivers aren't being loaded. Could be both are corrupted. Reboot using a boot disk to check. There's always a better way...

Yeah, it sounds like you fried your drivers. You got me as to why, but that's life in cyber-land.

Post your results...have you tried removing the devices from your system entirely? How about creating a new hardware profile that doesn't include the CDs, then add them one by one to the new profile. Then if it works you can resave the profile as the default. Email me! denodave@yahoo.com
Real men pray...especially techies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back