Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD Rom turns into Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddwaz

Technical User
Feb 8, 2002
US
I have a 36X CD Rom in a Win 98 environment that reads all data disks as Audio Disks. No matter what type of media you put in, it continually reads it as Audio CD's. I have tried removing the CD Rom and having the computer re-find it. I checked the plug and the drivers. I even replaced it with another 36X CD Rom and it reads it the same way. Here's the kicker... sometimes it reads correctly and sometimes it starts reading correctly and then converts to Audio. I'm stumped, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Put a CD in the drive then...

Go to My Computer -> Right Click CD ROM Drive -> Use the Eject option

It may or not work, im sure this is how I got around the problem before, failing that unninstall Audio software then re-install

It could also be file assosciations?

I'm sorry, I'm confused. Ejecting the CD isn't the problem. As soon as you put the CD in, it shows the correct icon and then converts to an Audio icon and it starts the CD player. I had a Windows CD in drive and it kept reading it as a music CD. Go figure!

Well guess what. Someone suggested I load Direct X and reinstall the drivers from the Creative site. And now the CD works perfectly. Thank you for your input.

ddwaz, silly as the advice sounds, using the windows eject function gets rid of the annoying icons that become associated with drive shortcuts, it was a pretty long shot but I remembered when I done something similar before and it worked

Glad the problem is solved

Jamie

jdunderhill,
Thank you. I'm going to remember your fix for the future. Thank you again for your responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back