Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD-ROM reads Audio CD only

Status
Not open for further replies.

diulasing

Technical User
May 10, 2003
CA
Recently installed a CD-RW drive into my P133 system, running Win98SE. Somehow now my CD-ROM reads Audio CD only.
In Control Panel - Multimedia Properties - CD Music, it said CD-ROM selection defaulted my CD-ROM drive ( d: )for playing music only.
I check with my friends computer, a P3 system, it also said default the CD-ROM to play music only but do not specify the drive letter, so his system can read data disks too.
Any help is thankful.

I'd work on the software issue first. If the computer sees the cd and can play audio you have it connected up right now figure out why the software defaulted the way it did.

I check all settings from both computers, everything is the same except the p133 default the CD-ROM as Audio drive and the p3 did not. There is no way I can change the setting in p133.
Any work around is appricaited.

i had the same problem after installing a new CD-RW and the enclosed Roxio 5.0 software. i had to install updated UDF file to get the drive to recognize data files.

i believe you can go to the software providers web site and DL a current UDF and install.

I had Adaptec software installed. What is UDF file ?
I had a Memorex 242E CD-ROM drive, I will try the *.exe from site and hope for the best.
Will keep you post later.
Thanks in advance.

Memorex had the same files as my install disk that comes with the drive, size and date/time the same too.
Hate to have to re-format to get ride of this problem.
Thanks ' youngers ', waiting for your post.

Hi,
I've come across this problem before and it has always been Windows Media Player that had caused it.

Tools/Options/Devices

Then select your CD-ROM/Properties

Make sure the Digital radio buttons are selected/Apply/OK

Regards.

win98user,
What version is your Media Player ? Mine is version 6, guess I have to download the latest one to make it work.
Will report back ASAP.
Thanks

Sorry to reply so late, I now have another problem.
It gives a messege : window protection error
I went into Windows Knowledge Network and follow the suggestionS it had there but no luck.
At first the cursor just blinks in hte left top corner in a blank screen after the Window logon screen. It stays there for I don't know how long before it shows the error line and if I was away, it will show the ' its save the shut down now ' line.
After going through with different settings, one out of five times it will start in SAVE mode.
Look like a re-format is neccessary.
Will post the result.

It seems one of the program is in conflict with Windows, so after a re-format and did not install that program, its working fine now, but still have not resolve the " only audio CD " problem.
Will keep looking.
Thankyou everybody for their suggestions.
john Sr

diulasing, just a thought but have you tried going to "My Computer"? right click the drive and then select "Properties" and then the "Autoplay" tab and change the settings. My $0.02 i hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back