Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD Rom on Sound Card Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullshoot

Technical User
Sep 2, 2001
US
I have an older Packard Bell 166 system with the cd rom drive attached to the sound card. Problem is, i cant access the cd rom with a boot disk. i have upgraded this system from win95 to win98 and made a start disk. I still can get to the cdrom drive. I have tryed hooking the cd as a slave with the hd on the ide of the motherboard but this will not work either. I have tryed hooking the cdrom on the other ide on the motherboard. Nothing i have tryed has worked at all. Does anyone have any idea how to access the cdrom from dos so i can do a clean install of win98?????

Thanks for the help!!!!
wpashe@citcom.net
william ashe

What model of PB is it? Does CD work in windows 98? Have you been in the BIOS when you changed to Differing IDE? You say about CD being attached to the sound card..is this not the cd sound cable? or have PB done something silly (again!)

Are you positive that the CDRom is IDE? Old CDRoms used what was labelled a Panasonic interface, and that was very common to have this interface on a sound card. If so, I wouldn't know where to begin grabbing drivers, as Packard Bell is no more (not that they provided any support when they were selling computers...).

Can you be more descriptive on the hardware?

This cd-rom is an old type cd-rom which requires the old type drivers which must to loaded in the autobat and config.sys file at start up., its not an IDE cd-rom. I would trash the cd-rom and buy a new one for 20-30 buck at Best Buy or the likes when they are on sale.

Well, like my daddy used to say, "If that dont beat a hen rooting in a rock pile."
I hooked up a new cdrom drive to the ide on the motherboard and it is fine now . I thought i had tryed it before, but i guess not. The cables had me fooled. They are regular ide cables so i just ASSUMED (something you should never do with computers) that this was an ide drive.
Anyway, i really appreciate the help.
I have found out that if you have a problem, this is the place to come to get the help and answers. Nothing on the web can beat the Tek-Tips Forums!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back