Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD-ROM not recognized in windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwadding

Technical User
Jun 8, 2004
US
I have an AMD 1800 w/256 meg's DDR PC233 with Windows 98 SE. Windows will not recognize the burner and cd-rom I have in the computer. Although if I restart with a windows 98 cd-rom in the drive, It will boot from it so I dont think my IDE is damaged but when Windows boots up... no cd-roms. Under device manager there are !! by the primary and secondary IDE Controlers. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Bwadding

Have you installed the drivers (IDE or All-in-one probably)that came with your motherboard (or better, the latest versions of them that are on the mobo manufacturer's website)? Sounds like win98's IDE drivers aren't working with your IDE controllers

Does device manager say anything? - other than !

I havnt tried installing the ide drivers from the manufacturers web site. The device manager says that either the driver is incorrect, the device is damaged or isnt working properly. I apprecaite your advice. I'll try the web site drivers

thanks

Bwadding

Check the jumpers on the devices.
When you boot from the 98CD, can you choose 1. Boot from Hard Disk and then boot into WIn? and same thing? I ask b/c when using a bootable CDROM it's not necessairly using the IDE controller at that point (should say Win32 versions)....

Set the BIOS to "Auto" on all IDE - for correct parameter assignment including Transfer rate and mode.
Make sure in the BIOS, the IDE controller is set to use BOTH channels

Check in Device manager >> System Devices > HD Controllers > Whatever Model BUS Master IDE Controller > Properties > Settings > Dual IDE Channel Settings - Use Default -or- Use Both

Check in Device manager >> System Devices > PCI BUS > Properties > Irq steering > 'Irq routing status' says what?

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

ooops;
This above Check in Device manager >> System Devices > HD Controllers
should subtract 'System Devices' from path written (no necessito) [smile]

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.

I tried to load the updated drivers for the motherboard and I tried changing the setting in the device manager> system devices> HD Controllers to both and also to default but there was no change. I moved the IDE Cable for the Hard Drive to the Second IDE Controller and the IDE Cable for the CD-ROM to the Primary IDE Controller to see if one of the Controllers were bad but there was no difference there either. If anybody has any more suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Brent

Hi Brent;
Check the BIOS IDE settings yet?
Try removing all IDE in devbice manager from safe mode and reboot

TT4U

Notification:

Also did the Burner come with a diskette or cd with it's own drivers....cause the cdroms sometimes use the esdi_506.pdr (port driver), found in C:\windows\system\iosubsys folder.
Do you have CD Burning software installed ?
This will take over sometimes and add its own ASPI layer drivers and also (ex Nero may install a nerocd95.drv for it's own).

Remove any burning / media software installed thru Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. A Media app such as REAL or other may have tried to install it's own drivers.

Another shot is this;

TT4U

Notification:

You could load the dos drivers (by putting entries in config.sys and autoexec.bat). Sometimes doing this wakes up windows (it comments out the entries and properly installs windows drivers), but even if not, should still give you access to the devices (though must admit I've never done this with a burner - so don't know if it will burn CDs as well as read them).

Just one other idea, if the primary fifo and secondary fifo are both (!), then there is a known registry glitch that can cause this problem,

This behavior can occur if the protected-mode driver for the hard disk controller is not properly initialized when you start Windows. When this occurs, a NOIDE value is placed in the registry which prevents Windows from making future attempts to initialize the protected-mode driver

To Fix this!!!

Click Start,
click Run,
type regedit in the Open box, and then press ENTER.

Locate and click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\IOS

In the right pane, right-click the NOIDE value, and then click Delete.
Quit Registry Editor.

Hope this resolves the problem.

I finally had a chance to edit the registry for the ide controllers but still no luck. I'm beginning to think that maybe the IDE Controllers are bad. Any other suggestions?

bwadding

I also checked the IDE setting in the bios they all are set the way they are supposed to be.

So did you try dos drivers in config.sys/autoexec.bat?

What happened when you tried the mobo drivers? Are you sure you downloaded the correct ones - it can be confusing finding them on manufacturer's site?

bwadding-- Have you, by chance, gone into safe mode and looked through the device manager to verify that you don't have duplicate entries relating to the IDE controllers? Also, have you removed them from safe mode and restarted?

TT4U suggested this earlier, and I'm curious to know if you tried it. Sometimes we (collective ;-) ) look too far into things without trying the basics first. I would hate to see you chase your tail on something like this....

Mudskipper
-----------------
Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this!
Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

bwadding;
If you go into Safe mode and remove the primary first, the secondary second, and then the Bus master (Parent) and reboot into BIOS and find ESCD and set it to "Reset".
When you did your editing / removing....did you find they came back with *!!!* next to them in Device manager?
Must remove Parent Last (Bus Master) and allow reconfig of IRQ's (plug-n-play BIOS set to NO)...Got correct Mobo chipset drivers? These needed to be loaded right after a reinstall, if that's what you did. The jumpers on the devices need to be correct...(using new 80 conductor cables?.i hope).

If still no go try 1 device (CDROM/RW) at a time. If better - then try the other cable as test, with still same (working) 1 device.

Go all the back to No CDROM/RW (nothing on Secondary channel) and just HDD (on Primary)...same prob???
Did changing the cables still make "Both" Pri and Sec. in Device manager have "!!"

What do you have as Primary Slave?....anything?...try remove it

TT4U

Notification:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back