Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD-Rom not reading anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitcents1

IS-IT--Management
Oct 19, 2006
US
I'm working on a PC and the CD-Rom will not read any disks. Windows sees the drive, but when I open D: drive in My Computer there is nothing there. It's the same with system disks and with music disks.

What system is it and what OS are you using? Have you tried removing the drive from the device manager and letting it reinstall itself?
Baracuda

haven't really tried anything yet. Will have to play with it when i get home from work.

Unless the drive is still under warranty I pull the drive apart and clean the laser lens and the track bars with a Eyeglass cleaning cloth with one corner dampened with eyeglass cleaner. its amazing how well a drive works after that.

BUT,

I don't think a dirty drive is your issue

it's either a burned out laser or dead drive

or

Try this first... test another working CD or DVD drive and see if it works...if it doesn't then you may have the issue below....

you have a corrupt filter driver registry entry

here is a couple of fixes.

and this may or may not work too

here are some other links:

I have tried all suggestions and nothing has worked. I also tried another IDE cable.

actually, i was messing around in the registry and got the cd-rom to work, but the mouse stopped working. I tried to restore the registry from the back-up but I could not get the mouse to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back