Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD-ROM not playing Audio....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonQ0105

Technical User
Jun 6, 2004
GB
Hey, I play CDs on my PC quite often...and did so a few days ago (wednesday maybe?), but now it just won't work. CDs are recognised fine in both my CD-ROM and CD-RW Drives...and show up in My Computer, and when played in WMP10, then bar shows they're playing...but there is no sound. This has happened all of a sudden, on both CD-ROM Drives (which are on the same IDE Cable).

Things I've tried:

- Playing it, and using headphones plugged into the headphone socket on the actual CD-ROM Drives, with the volume on the Drives on maximum - nothing.
- Reinstalling Audio Drivers - nothing
- Real Player - DOES WORK

So, the problem seems to be with WMP10....

- Reinstalling WMP10 - no effect.

So how do I go about trying to fix this do you think?

Sounds about par for "any" version of windows media player. I personally removed media player and I use Nero Media Player. Better quality and you can use it without it "talking" back and forth with any "big brothers" out there that might be interested in sticking thier nose in your business. Just a recommendation. It's worth checking into. (I think so anyway...)

The "headphone" jack on the CD Rom is completely independant of the computer system. If there is no sound there, you have a bad player, or headphones. Media Player or audio board have nothing to do with it. You could remove the audio board and/or the audio connection to the board, and still listen through the headphones.

Micker377's diagnosis sounds good to me... However, just to be sure there's not a problem with the CD driver's audio circuit being grounded, I suggest that you temporarily remove the audio cable from the back of the CD drive and then see if audio is available at the front headphone jack when playing a music CD.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

But it works in RealPlayer...so it can't be the actual drive can it?

I don't think I use the analogue audio cable, and both drives were working in WMP10 before.

It simply can't be a problem with the drives if it works in RealPlayer can it?

What type of CD are you playing? Is it a store-bought audio CD, or is it a data CD full of MP3 files for example?

The reason I ask is because a data CD is not going to play through the headphone jack...

~cdogg
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Out of the 2 i've tried: One is a store bought CD, one is a burned CD-R with WAV Files on it. None work in WMP10 or through headphones, Both work in RealPlayer and VLC Player.

I've never tested this, but I don't believe that the headphone jack will work if "Digital Audio Extraction" is set in Windows. Just a thought, but it doesn't really matter at this point.

Because it works in other applications, we also know it's not a Windows issue. I would dig through the settings checking all the basics (including Mute), and search out on the MS Knowledgebase.

~cdogg
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Well everything is fine mute/volume-wise...

I tried setting the CD-RW Drive to "Analogue Playback" in WMP10, and it works for about 5 seconds...then it starts playing it again from the beginning, with the other 'version' of the song still playing, and they overlap...strange.

Using Digital Playback doesn't work, as before.

I am now going to try to Disable Digital Playback in Device Manager, then re-enable it and restart.

Just tried the following things:

- Reverting back to WMP9 (Still doesn't work)
- Removing CD Drives from Device Manager, and reinstalling them (No effect)
- Yet another Media Player (Nero and Jukebox) - both of which play CDs fine

I also checked on Jukebox, and it IS using Digital Extraction to play the CDs, so I conclude it MUST be a problem purley with WMP9/10.

But how can I fix it if I cannot completely uninstall and reinstall WMP?

Digital Audio Extraction" isn't really the correct term, sorry for the confusion earlier. Leave off the "Extraction", because the entry I meant to refer to is called Digital CD Audio.

Make sure it's turned on (instructions for XP):
1) In Device Manager, go to the properties of the CD-ROM drive
2) Under the Properties tab, make sure the option to "Enable Digital CD Audio..." is checked.
3) Hit OK and reboot

~cdogg

Yes it is turned on, I'm sure I've said that before.

I tried copying the files to Lossless WMA, and they are definately not right. They're decent, but sound more like 96kbps mp3 to me. This is getting really weird. I may have to reformat my Windows Drive (all my data's on a separate drive) and just start afresh. I honestly cannot see why this is happening!!!

Grrr!

Yes you've said a lot, but have still not mentioned what OS you're running. Since you had WMP 10 before, we're assuming XP at this point...

Make sure DMA is enabled for both CDROM devices as well. Since it's working for other software apps, it's likely a codec issue. This should do it:

Other ideas:

~cdogg

DMA is enabled on all 4 of my Drives, DMA Mode 2 for CD-ROM/CD-RW Drives, DMA Mode 5 for HDDs.

I will try that link when I get home.

Unfortunately, none of those links helped.

All problems with Codecs should be resolved by reinstalling WMP, acording to the Knowledge Base. Well that don't work...

Is there a CD-Audio Codec for WMP9/10 that can be installed separately? Or does no such thing exist?

PROBLEM FIXED!

Solution: Disable 24-Bit CD Audio Support for my Speakers.

Thanks for all the helpful input, it looked like playing around with it for ages led to the solution...

The question remains...why would this prevent CD Audio from working in Digital Mode, when it says next to the "Enable 24-Bit Audio Support" box "This will not affect normal Audio CDs"...??

Also, as far as I am aware, this has always been Enabled...any reason why it causes problems for soem people?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back