Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD Rom not detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAG

Programmer
Aug 29, 2000
GB
Hi All
A m8 was given a OLD system which had Win95 installed
Which I foolishly offered to install Win98SE for him
Went through Device Manager and copied everything
The CD Rom was in place and working
I then did a format and using the startup disk and CD
tried to install 98
The system starts up detects the hard drive but will not detect the CD Rom !
Have looked at the BIOS and tried "Auto Detect", I have tried another CD Rom all to no avail
Am I doing something basically wrong or is it deeper ?
Hard drive is Master on Primary, CD Rom Master on Secondary
Have tried other variations
Will be getting Mobo ect details L8r
Thought I'd chuck this post out in case its something simple !
Hag

First of all, yuo have to "see" your CD-ROM from BIOS. Check if second IDE channel is enabled in BIOS. If yes, then autodetect should be OK for it. If CD-ROM is seen at boot (before starting W98), try to make a Win98 startup floppy (it has CD-ROM support), and boot from it. If booting from floppy is OK, and can access CD-ROM, try to enter Device Manager, and search for CD-ROM.
I've had a similar problem on older PC-s (P75, P133), but I got DOS drivers for the CD-ROM, placed proper strings in config.sys and autoexec.bat (device=c:\cdromdriverlocation\cdromdriver.sys /d:cd000 in config.sys and c:\mscdex.exe /d:cd000 in autoexec.bat), and booted W95. After boot and access of CD-ROM in W95 I commented out the mentioned lines in system files, and no problem since.
I hope this helps You! There is always an explanation!
But maybe we don't know it.
The truth is out there!

Hi
Second IDE channel is enabled in BIOS
Have even put CD Rom (and a spare CD Rom) as Slave on Primary IDE channel and it still will not find it
As I can't install Win98 because of this, I can't access the Device Manager
Hag

I'm pretty much a novice at these things but the questions I'd be asking myself if i was facing this:
does win98 have an install directory on the cd like win95?
can i put the harddrive in another machine, format it under win98, copy the directory to the harddrive, put the harddrive back in the original machine, and install from harddrive and then hope install process recognizes all hardware properly? I know this is a possible alternative approach for win95 - do not know if it is reasonable for 98.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back