Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD-ROM not being recognized by 2GB machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sigmab

IS-IT--Management
Jul 24, 2001
US
hi, I have a 2GB dell optiplex gxi and even though the CD-ROM (A NEC cdr-8100) opens and closes and the drivers are present, there is no instance of the cd-rom in The file manager (Windows NT environment). I looked in disk administrator and there is only the C drive with a size of 2014mb. What am I missing????.....please help.

Is the IDE cable plugged it? Does the BIOS recognize it on POST (Initial boot)? Is the cd rom set to slave and the Hard drive set to master? James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

I'd suggest making a boot disk and loading the dos drivers. That way you'll know right away if it's a software or hardware issue you're dealing with. This'll just narrow down the problem, tell wether you need to check the hardware or if you need to continue futzin around with NT.

I solved it, the problem was with the CD-ROM jumper. I replaced the jumper from a machine I had for parts and it recognized the CD-ROM. I put the "faulty" jumper in another machine which I know recognizes the CD-ROM and it didn't work. The jumper felt a little loose so I'm thinking it wasn't making a good connection. Thanks again guys for your input.

This may sound stupid but try to reverse the cable the same situation happened to me and the cable was backwards it took me days to figure that out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back