Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD Rom not available after driver install

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReLiVaNt

Technical User
Aug 31, 2003
US
Running Windows 98 AMD-K6tm
Acer Computer

The Cd Rom will not appear on the computer. I tried reinstalling the CD Rom drivers and restarting the computer when asked. Upon restart there's still no CD Rom drive.
What could be the problem?
Thanks in advance!

Did you check in the BIOS to make sure the drive was auto-detected? Try rebooting and go into your BIOS and make sure all drives are set to auto-detect. Save and restart and see if it picks it up then.

try jazzgirl's first

Right click My Computer >> Performance Tab - are any drives listed as running in MSDOS Mode? if so continue below;

Reboot in Safe Mode (have mobo CDROM and 98 CD handy) - and remove the Busmaster IDE Controller in Device Manager and reboot.

Also - see this and use it if above doesn't do it;

Also - one last try - (also available on 98 CDROM in \mtsutil folder) is this fix for the IDE Real Mode IOS mixup

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

thank you for your input and i will try it and see if it works.
thanks again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back