Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD Rom Missing 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTinVA

Programmer
Aug 5, 2002
US
Here's a weird one ... whenever I log into XP, my CD Rom is missing. However, as soon as I try to add new hardware, it shows up. I've confirmed that all cables are in good working order and that the jumpers are all set properly. I've tried updating the drivers but they are all okay. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

320553 - CD-ROM Drive or DVD-ROM Drive Missing After You Install Windows XP

How to Troubleshoot CD-ROM Drive Problems in Windows XP (Q314096)

A couple of things to check in the Registry.

1. Click Start. Click Run. Type regedit and press Enter.

2. Expand the branches in the left panel and locate the following key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values completely.

4. Restart the computer.

or, another solution, install NERO... or it's child Nerocheck.exe (this little progie checks and corrects the Upper/Lowerfilters upon every boot up)...

see also faq602-5358 or faq602-5328...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

Thanks to both of your for your help. I'll check it out tonight when I get home.

Well, this is interesting, I have 24 instances of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

and they don't contain the same information. Any ideas?

Thanks.

DELETE ALL!

then reboot... Windows takes care of reinitiating the drives hooked up in your PC...

Ben

It would be, my opinion, a mistake to delete even outdated CLSIDs without more information.

What matters is a quite different area of the registry in which the Mount Manager enumerates the devices.

In addition, the Current Control Set is exactly that, Current. It is built from some other registry stores.

Stick with the earlier advice given above.

Well, I'm ready to take Ben's advice and just sledgehammer the whole thing!

I ended up removing any reference to Upper and Lower limit and all it did was just cause my whole system to hang on log in and my Keyboard/Mouse no longer works.

Time to do a restore!!!

Sorry, I was in a hurry Yesterday and that my last post did not help, actually hurt more, as there should've been just one instance...

the others listed are CLSIDs for other subdrivers/hardware management like Floppy, HD etc...

I've cleared these many times and have not had any adverse effect other than Windows poping up telling me that I have new HardWare that it needs to install...

Ben

I had the same problem a few years back, but I went on ahead and reinstalled the OS. I took the upgrade path. I was too lazy to back up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back