Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD Rom Installation Problem with Mandrake 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

activethistle

Technical User
Apr 3, 2001
GB
I'm totally new to Linux although I've been using DOS/Win for years.

I'm trying desparately to install Linux-Mandrake from a CD. I have created the CDROM boot disk which starts up fine, but it doesn't look at the CD drive. No light - no nothing. The message it gives is akin to "That CDROM device does not seem to contain a Mandrake CDROM".
IT DOES!! - I KNOW!! I PUT IT THERE!!

Can anyone shed any light on what my problem might be and howe to go about fixing it.

TVVMIA

Active.X-)

What version of mandrake are you using?? if its 7.0 or higher you should be able to boot from the CD.. Try that instead of using the floppy disk..

Hi,

I'm a linux newbie as well and had a similar problem when installing Slackware 7.1. After a week of pulling my hair out, I decided to format and fdisk my hard drive. I created an active DOS partition of 800 megs, installed a DOS driver for my cdrom drive, and xcopied the entire contents of the installation cd to my hard drive. Next I used the bootdisk to arrive at the installation menu where I used Linux's version of fdisk to create a swap partition and root partition. This utility allowed me to assign my DOS partition a mountable drive(/dev/hda1). When I was asked what source I wanted to load Linux from, I chose /dev/hda1 where I saved the contents of the install cd. This was my method of madness and hopefully it will give you some ideas.

Good Luck!

In Linux Mandrake 8.0 im having problems with getting teh
cd roms to work.

If you have any suggestions please E-Mail me at

whitedemon00@aol.com
thanks. cya

Try going into the BIOS (hit escape, or something during boot), and make sure that your cdrom is set as one of the boot devices.

I had a similar problem with FreeBSD. Even after setting the CDROM as primary boot device. I ended up using FDISK to make sure there were NO partitions on the hard drive. Then and only then would the system boot off the CD.

what kind of cdroms are you using? ide or scsi?

and where are they? slave, master?

if you have another dvd/cd/cdrw then try using that.

If you still have the .iso images on your HD, just install from there. Requires making a bootdisk using the boothd.img file through rawrite. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

If you are using SCSI cdroms or harddrives and trying to install MDK 8.0 you *will* have a HUGE amount of problems...

they are well known, and have more to do with the buggy kernel that was installed than anything else... go to mandrakeexpert.com for help :)

-j

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back