Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD Rom - Incorrect Function

Status
Not open for further replies.

xjlkx

IS-IT--Management
Nov 21, 2002
US
Ok, here's the situation -

I am getting an error accessing my CDROM drive:

F:\ Not Accessible - Incorrect Function

This is how I have the machine configured-
Athlon XP2200, 256MB DDR
Win2k SP3
Primary IDE Channel:
Master: Maxtor 40GB
Slave:Quantum Bigfoot 12GB
Secondary IDE Channel:
Master: Samsung CDRW
Slave: Lite On 52x CDROM

My problem arose when I added that second hard drive. Everything functioned perfectly...all I did was add the second drive as a primary channel slave, and now the cdrom drive is "not accessible"

Any Suggestions? Would anyone configure their drives any differently?

Make sure that all of the CD-ROM drive's cables are correctly and securely installed.

If ok, then disconnect the new slave HD.
If the CD-ROM drive still does not work, then connect it to a different power lead.
If no good, then try a new IDE cable.
If still no good, then the drive may bad.

If it works with the new slave drive disconnected, then
try different drive connection configurations.

No, it should be OK. See if jumpers are set up correctly on all the connected devices, on both IDE channels, your Maxtor HDD and your CDRW should have jumpers set on MASTER, your Quantum HDD and the CDROM should have jumpers set on slave. If so, see if BIOS detects both CD drives at boot-up, if yes, see what kind of speed (Ultra ATA xxx - your second CD drive maybe isn't supporting too high speed settings) do you have set in BIOS for second IDE channel. You should use "Auto" setting for second IDE channel (maybe for both channels), and check if you can access your new CD drive. There is always an explanation!
But maybe we don't know it.
The truth is out there!

I've checked all my cables and jumpers, and everything is the way it should be, and the BIOS detects all drives successfully. However, when I boot into windows, the drive is either not accessible, or NO DRIVES whatsoever appear in the My Computer explorer screen, and explorer crashes.

I've since removed the cdrom drive and left my hard drives configured the same way, and just left my CDRW as the secondary master and it works fine.

When I initially bought the Lite-On cdrom drive, I had some problems with it - it would hang on refresh and crash explorer and the like....so I'm thinking the drive is trash...just goes to show, you get what you pay for. I ALWAYS buyt Sony and Toshiba drives....the one time I try to save a couple bucks....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back