Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD-ROM error Code 41 - device not found 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

winglady

Technical User
Apr 13, 2007
I've been having this problem intermittently for a few months. I don't use my CD-ROM too regularly, and sometimes when I go to use it, the drive letter doesn't show up in Explorer. I go to Device Manager, and see a yellow warning symbol for the device. "Properties" shows me error "code 41" - "Windows successfully loaded the device driver for the hardware but cannot find the hardware device."

When this happened 2 other times, I tried doing a System Restore to an earlier restore point, and all was well. This time, however, my restore points only go back about 2 weeks, and even going back to my earliest one doesn't solve the problem.

I've tried detaching & reattaching the device; looking for new drivers (didn't find any), uninstalling the device & letting Windows autodetect (it reloaded the driver, but immediately complained that it couldn't find the hardware device - ????)

Any ideas?

How is/are the IDE bus configured? HDD primary master, CD-ROM primary slave etc. MS's take:

MS said:
Recommended resolution

A driver was loaded but Windows cannot find the device. This error occurs when Windows does not detect a non-Plug and Play device.

If the device was removed, uninstall the driver, install the device, and then click Scan for hardware changes to reinstall the driver. If the hardware was not removed, obtain a new or updated driver for the device.

If the device is a non-Plug and Play device, a newer version of the driver might be needed. To install non-Plug and Play devices, use the Add Hardware wizard. Click Performance and Maintenance on Control Panel, click System, and on the Hardware tab, click Add Hardware Wizard.

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard.

Just curious...how old is this drive? DVD-RW drives are cheap and your time has to be worth something!

Tony

Yeah, I found that KB article and tried the Scan, the Add Hardware Wizard, and the Troubleshooting Wizard.

I think your last comment is a good point. The drive is several years old (actually, it is a replacement for the original drive that failed). Maybe I'll go over to the electronics store today...

Just a suggestion; i assume its a ribbon cable connection, have you tried switching out your cable for a new one?

Computers are like bikinis. They save people a lot of guesswork.
-Sam Ewing-

I may even have a cable on hand to try. Unfortunately, both that and (if it fails) swapping out the drive will have to wait until hubby gets back from his trip. Just had back surgery, and I don't think I can manipulate my tower to get at the innards without also manipulating my back in ways the doc wouldn't like!

Bingo! I made the registry changes recommended at

and seem to be back in business. Plus, I didn't have to mess up my newly fixed back by crawling around under my desk to get at my PC.

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback.

That is GREAT!
Just remember you may have to reinstall any CD/DVD burning software if they don't work
sometimes that happens sometimes it doesn't....LOL

I bet you already read that

But, That is a minor easy fix and is only a side effect.

hope your back surgery worked for you...I totally understand...I broke my neck almost 20 years ago

Hi
I had two DVD's installed on the IDE2 circuit which were working fine on Windows XP Professional, with a couple of HD's on IDE1. Then about three weeks ago I realized that neither drive was operational. Drives are not listed under My Computer but can be found via Control Panel/Admin Tools/Computer Admin/Device Manager albeit they are marked with a Yellow !
Right clicking and checking the properties comes up with "Driver installed but hardware not found (Code 41)". i.e same symptoms as other users.
I can't remember manually downloading any new programs since last using the DVD but I have had a number of automatic downloads from various program vendors i.e Microsoft and Quicktime etc.
I tried replacing the IDE ribbon cable, swapping between IDE1 and IDE2 plugs on the motherboard and installing a dedicated IDE card, all to no avail.
Current running with two HD's on IDE1 and One HD plus DVD drive on IDE2, system working OK with the exception of the DVD and the Yellow !
Tried applying the automatic "Fix" for Code 41 problems provided by Microsoft i.e. delete upper and lower registries and ended up with a "Hung" computer - the Windows XP window appeared with the Night Rider moving tracer and then froze. I had to restart in Safe mode to get going again.
Tried manually deleting 2 upper and 2 lower registries in various combinations and either ended up with a frozen system or a DVD marked with a Yellow !
Anymore ideas guys?

BlueSparky
you should post in the forum and not someone elses post ....lol

and I will get back to you when I have time on your issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back