Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD-ROM Drive Will not read audio cd's

Status
Not open for further replies.

notchris

Technical User
Sep 23, 2007
US
I don't know if this could be hardware the drive is a 52x read olny memorex its not very old but I can't get my machine to even reconize and audio CD any suggestions

Thanks

Chris

Right click on my computer, left click manage. Navigate to device manager. Find your cdrom from there, right click on it and left click uninstall. Restart computer and let it reinstall it and then try the cd's again.

If it still does not work, try the cdrom on another computer or try another one on yours.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

actually did that and now it doesn't work at all just keeps saying please insert disk to drive E: it detects the drive in bios and windows sees it but does not see disk

I recently notice that when I umute cd audio in the sound control panel I get alot of static fuzz and like high pitched noise like a cell phone interference but Its not a cell phone could that be a part of the problem or a hint as to what is wrong

Try another cdrom drive

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Did that...Still not working could this have anything to do with chipset updates or incorrect conductot cables
I get this error saying "primary ide channel 80 conductor cable not installed" or something like that during boot at auto detect from BIOS. but my cd rom is sec master so why is it primary is that my HDisk??

again thanks for any and all advice

I would re-seat the cable and then try another cable if that doesn't work. You always have to rule out the simple stuff first.

"primary ide channel 80 conductor cable not installed" that sounds like your hardrive. Your not using a 40 wire cable are you?

I love it, only took 15 days before notchris everyone the real reason why it's not working.
I get this error saying "primary ide channel 80 conductor cable not installed"
Try google [primary ide channel 80 conductor cable not installed] and I'm sure you will see it's a cable issue.

NO shit its my harddrive I am talking about a CD rom
I was just letting all of you know what my comp does during boot process just nevermind anyway I tried other rom drives and I think my comp is killing them cause they install and work for a day or 2 then they are detected by bios and windows but keep saying please insert disk and yes I made sure the disk was in it but it doesn't know that so what could cause my machine to kill rom drives any ideas

I wish I had enough money to buy a new comp stupid world

Have you tried removing the battery on the motherboard for half and hour to clear the CMOS. That way any virus in there will be eliminated. There is usually a jumper if you can find it that does the same thing. Secondly try different cables to HDD and CD-ROM, I know from Win95 days you always use separate IDE for OS and CD ROM. Have you checked under devmgmt.msc what are the IDE channels running on DMA or PIO?
Is your windows on SP4 and all updates current?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back