Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD ROM Drive stopped displaying

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigEd77

IS-IT--Management
Oct 6, 2003
US
I have a Windows 98se box. The CD ROM Drive stopped working last week. I purchased a new CD/RW drive and installed it. The jumpers are correct. The BIOS recognizes the CD/RW as a CD/RW. When Windows boots, there are no CD Drives in Explorer. When I check Device Manager, there isn't a category for CD Drives. When I boot from a floppy boot-disk, I can access the files on the CD ROM. Any ideas?

Check in your BIOS if the IDE port the drives are connected to aren't disabled.

I checked the BIOS to see if the IDE ports are disabled. I couldn't even find the option to enable/disable them.

As far as drives are concerned. There usually aren't drivers for CD-ROMs. This one didn't come with any disks in the box. The CDROM category in "device manager" is not there. I tried installing a CD ROM Controller, and only the "Sony" installed correctly. The other two supplied with Windows 98 had yellow exclaimation marks on them. The "Sony" is working, but the drive still does not show up in Windows. I can access it perfectly if I boot up in DOS from a boot disk.

I had exactly the same problem under WinXP after installing NERO and CloneCD together....

Did you check to see if your IDE cables are tight at both ends. Check also in the bios if you have selected cdrom on the drive you are using for the cdrw. Once it is found in the bios it should appear in the operating system. Just as a side note if you are using auto detect you may have your computer finding it as a new device every other time you boot up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back