Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD-ROM drive problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

rthibault

Programmer
Apr 27, 2001
US
I was installing an Oracle upgrade on my Solaris 8 box......it got through disk 1 fine, then prompted me to insert disk 2. Only problem was I couldn't get disk 1 out! I tried selecting Eject from the filemanager, and typing "eject" at a command prompt, and all I kept getting was "drive is in use". I finally used a paperclip to get the drive open, but then the OS crashed. Now I have to start again, but I'm afraid the same thing will happen.....does anyone know how this can be avoided? Please copy your response via email! Thanks!

1) is the cdrom local, or shared
2) are you running the application to upgrade from the cdrom
3) have you got any windows that are running, or currently located in the cdrom path
4) is the drive shared with another machine
5) are you running samba with the cdrom shared
6) are you on a machine with multiple users, one of whom might be accessing the cdrom

etc ...

What will be helpful to troubleshoot this in the future is to install lsof, then run lsof | grep cdrom to narrow down the exactly what is using your cdrom drive. you will be able to kill the processes after this point.

Yahoo Messenger: coily2

the 'users <file>' command will show you who is using a specific file, and comes with unix ...

downside is it doesn't realise you want to know about directories and subdirectories properly ...

fuser -cu /<filesystem>
should give you who is using the filesystem

Thanks for your help guys, I understand it's actually quite common for the Oracle Universal Installer to lock the drive, even though it asks for disk 2. I ended up just copying the CD contents to the hard drive and installing from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back