Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD-ROM Drive Opens By Itself... Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mastavic

Technical User
Feb 21, 2003
US
For several weeks now, my Samsung CD-ROM drive opens by itself while my computer is one once in a while, and usually does so when I restart my computer. I have no idea why - if it's the wires, a program I have (shouldn't be though, because it opens right when my computer starts up, even before Windows is really loaded), or whatever else - and really want it to stop.

Any ideas?
If it helps, I'm running Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1. The CD-burning program I used is Nero 5.

Please help,
Thanks in advance,
-=ViC

Yes, AV and you might also DO A VERY GOOD SCAN for:
Trojans, Bots, Worms, etc etc etc. Seems that some time ago there was a ???? that caused the CD Rom to open and close.

Frank Smith irc.dhcnetwork.com
gunslinger.gif

"SomeWhere in Kansas--"Near Dodge City"

I scan my computer twice a week with Norton Anti-Virus 2003 Professional, and once a week with Pc-Cillin 2003, both of which are updated. I'm pretty sure it isn't a virus issue. Thanks for the help.

If anyone has anything else that may help, please post it.
Thank you.

Either the eject button is stuck or the CDROM is broken and needs to be replaced.

Umm that could be it =P thanks

and as for the jokes thing posted by Andyleates, I installed and ran the virus scanner and it found nothing. The CD-ROM drive still opens by itself.

-=ViC

Has it ever worked? I ran across a new one the other day that for whatever reason had TWO JUMPERS on the pins covering both the CS and the SL. Whenever the PC was turned on the drive would open. Anyway, I removed one of the jumpers and jumpered just the CS and it worked fine. I have also run across this and the drive was just plain bad so you may have a defective drive.

OK, back to really why does it open. 1st what OS are you using (XP). What CD Burner program are u using (EZCD5). Reason is that EZCD 5 has problems with all OS newer than WinME version. If you have DirectCD installed or Take TWo installed it does cause the CD Rom to act funny... reason is explained in ROXIO web site when used with XP/2000. How to fix: Use ADD/Remove and remove EZCD5. then clean the REG.. I found manually did much better than any program..Remove ever find of ROXIO and EZCD. reboot. then install EZCD5 back minus TAKE TWO or Direct CD. better yet upgrade to EZCD6 which is XP Compatible.. next do not have more than 1 CD Burner program installed. Nero and EZCD have problems when installed together. unless u install correctly. 1 install EZCD 2 install Nero then reinstall EZCD.... strange but true...

gunslinger.gif

To SpeedyIN:
My CD-ROM drive has been good for just about exactly a year (take or give a few weeks). Until about a month ago, it was fine, and then it just turned out this way for some reason.

To s0121:
I have never installed EZCD or any other Roxio programs. The only burning program I have ever installed (and still is installed) on my computer is Nero 5.

Ahhh Ok very good... Nero 5 is the Burner.. that is nice..
try add/remove and reinstall Nero 5 or use the REPAIR.. then get the updates for Nero 5 if u have not... sounds more like minor corrupt function of Nero than a BAD CDRW.
remember that XP has part of ROXIO (built in)so you did install ROXIO after all(j/k)... same reason that XP could corrupt (will/can) the Nero files. repair or remove and reinstall Nero...that is why i recommend that if you use Nero... use (TEST) first then cut second.

gunslinger.gif

To s0121:
Hey, how's it going?

Thanks a lot for the help. I'll try your fix this Sunday when I get back to using my regular computer. And you're right that I have actually installed Roxio because it comes with Windows XP, I just forgot about that =P Thanks!

After I repair Nero, I'll check back here with my results. If anyone else has other ideas, please just post. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back