Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD-ROM drive not recognised in XP Pro after upgrade from Win98

Status
Not open for further replies.

trickyz

Technical User
Sep 12, 2002
AU
Just upgraded my computer to XP Pro from Win98. When XP installation goes through installing devices it doesn't pick up my CD drive. In fact it prevents you from opening the drive. Add new hardware doesn't work either. Have tried mucking around with the IDE controllor advanced properties as well but to no avail. Did get the CD_ROM drive to open and close but thats all.

Are there any CD-ROM compatibilty issues anyone is aware of?

How did you get XP loaded in the first place? I'm guessing that the drive was working during the install, but then stopped. Did you re-format your hard drive, or just use the upgrade on the XP CD?

When loading the os, always re-format the drive and do a clean install. After its installed, then you can reload the software you need. With XP you shouldn't need any device drivers. If XP can't load the device by itself, use an XP driver if you can find one, or Win2000 if you can not. Don't use 98 drivers, they won't work.

Also know that the IDE controller needs to be loaded before the CD ROM will work, so you can check those in the device manager. Then check all connections on the drive and the board.

If all that still doesn't help, start over and try again. Meaning fdisk the hard drive and start the install. Let XP format the drive in NTFS.

Is there a code 31 on the cdrom drives, in Device Mangler? If so, see my FAQ under "Hardware Detection".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back