Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD-ROM - 'drive not ready'

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotfusion

Technical User
Jan 20, 2001
GB
Must be a common problem - the cd rom drive no longer reads CD's. The drive is visible in Windows, recognized in BIOS and the light which tells you if a CD is in the drive works. Only thing which seemed strange to me is that on this particular computer the CD ROM drive is on the secondary channel and set to 'slave'. Is this normal? Should it not be set as 'master'? (Primary channel has just one HD) O/S Win98se, CD ROM about a year old. Thanks. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

Hi,
Yes, if that is the only device on the secondary controller, the jumper should be set to master.
If after you set the jumper it still does that, I'd question the ribbon cable next.
After you check those things and it still doesn't work, I'd start questioning the drive. Or more specifically, the laser. It might be out of alignmnet.
I might also add that it is assuming that you've tried a couple different cd's.

Hope this helps,
Chris --Chris

Thanks for the reply, no CD is readable in this drive so it isn't a dodgy CD. I can't understand why the suppliers made the drive a slave in the first place, although it has worked fine for about a year. This problem has come on quite suddenly on a stable system, nothing was done to it to cause this. Any more trouble-shooting ideas before I kick ass? Thanks, Andy. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

If it has been running OK for a while and the fault has just started it is most likely to be a drive fault. It should be master if it is the only device on the secondary IDE channel.
I had a similar problem on my daughters, just stopped reading the discs, so I removed and dismantled the drive, cleaned the lazer eye very carefully with some liquid glass cleaner, reassembled, refitted and hey presto! all OK!
Now I know stripping the drive may be a bit daunting but take it steady, take your time and anyone with a little common sence will be able to do it.

Thanks, paparazi, that was to be my next course of action. I'll post the results for reference. Andy. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

What do you mean it is set to slave? As far as I know, all IDE devices are assigned their position by the jumper on the back of the device that you set when you install it according to how you are going to use it. Are you saying tht the jumper was set to slave when you say you don't understand why the manufacturer set it to slave? If so, no biggie, just change it. Hope i didn't ;miss the point here.

Some CD-ROM drives seem to come from the manufacturer with the jumper set to SLAVE, and others as MASTER. However, what difference does it make if it's the only drive on that interface? Can't say I've noticed any difference which ever it's set to...

Cleaning the laser seems the most likely option.

ROGER - GØAOZ.

To clarify, this guy's computer came ready-assembled with the CD rom as the only drive on the secondary channel, set to slave. It probably doesn't matter as Roger suggested, if it's the only drive. Anyhow, problem resolved, although I'm not sure how. I took the drive out to dismantle it in order to clean the laser, but it needed some major surgery to get at the top of the lens so I left it, intending to get back to it when I had more time. While out, I set it as master. When replaced, it worked. I've no idea what changed, probably some muck on the lens became dislodged during handling. Whatever, thanks for you suggestions. Andy. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

You might want to try a lens cleaner disk on it before it goes back into continuous use. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Yes, I did that as soon as I realised it was working! Thanks anyway, Andy. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

paparazi,
You mentioned that you stripped the drive and cleaned the laser eye. Is that something the cleaning disk bought from a store would do, or is it something extra?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back