Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cd rom drive not reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweety7

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
CA
I have NEC Ready Pentium2 133 machine which crashed. Tried to reinstall win 95 but startup floppy (plus backup copy) won't access the cdrom drive. Tried bootdisks from the net and they have accessed the drive.But now the message is Cdr001 Not ready to read, abort, retry, fail.
The connections have been checked, Goldstar8240B DOS files loaded. Machine was one-user,cd's only for loading programs so couldn't be worn.
Appreciate any help.

My guess is the CDROM has died, if it is the original one in that system it is pretty old. The fact that it has had little use makes no real difference. I suggest you either try it in another system or try a known working CDROM in yours before you go any further to check this. Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.

All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

I made an error, the machine is a 233. Those were good suggestions (as a single mom can't afford tech help). I'm going to try it in another computer. Will keep posted. Thanks.

I have the same Nec and all the parts are still going. When I first bought a cdrw I copied the restore diskette and CD just in case I lost it or scratched it. Tell us what happens when you put it in another computer. When you put a windows startup disk in it you should be able to read it in dos.
Cindy

To Cindy,
I made backup copies of the restore disk. When inserted it begins restore then demands the cd. Cd is in but it can't read it. So that is why I used bootdisks from the net to try to access the Q drive (this letter assigned by NEC).
So then back to original question. Haven't tried the cdrom in another computer yet.Will keep posted.

Goldstar was never known for their quality...

When was the last time you used the cdrom drive?

What model Nec is it that would be easier for me to know what you are talking about? I have a 9733 and a 9820 and they are still kicking, granted they aren't my main computers but they are great for backups. You could go to a used computer store and buy a cdrom and install it if you don't have someone who can. We would walk you through it. :}

Cindy [smile]

Are you using CD-Rs or the original factory restore CDs? Some older CD drives don't care much for certain flavors of CD-Rs. If that's the case, borrowing a CD-ROM from a newer PC and cabling it up for the install is a simple solution. Just a thought.

Just anwering some questions:
The cdrom drive was in use before the crash and working fine. The drive will not read all cd's including original install cd. As I said the bootdisk works and the drivers load just fine (I can access dos). The model doesn't much matter if the problem is the cdrom drive.
I will follow Mulga's suggestion and sign off the problem. Thanks for all suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back