Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD-ROM DISAPPEAR FROM MY COMPUTER AS IF IT NEVER EXISTED,HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAP1214

MIS
Dec 25, 1999
US
WORKING ON COMPUTER WHEN IT CRASHED.&nbsp;&nbsp;WHEN I SHUT IT DOWN AND BROUGHT IT BACK UP.&nbsp;&nbsp;I COULD NOT ACCESS MY CD-ROM DRIVE.&nbsp;&nbsp;I DOUBLED- CLICK ON MY COMPUTER AND IT IS NOT THERE.&nbsp;&nbsp;WHEN I LOOK UP UNDER SYSTEMS, PROPERTIES, I SEE IT THERE BUT I CAN NOT ACCESS IT.<br><br>PLEASE HELP, WHAT CAN I DO? <p> SHERRY MCKEOWN<br><a href=mailto:NAPHIRA@AOL.COM>NAPHIRA@AOL.COM</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Control Pannel -&gt; System -&gt; Device Manager, check to see if it exist, but might have a red X, or a yellow Exclamation mark, if so right click, then click properties , read the reason for the error, if its just disabled, you should be able to click &quot;Enable Device&quot; then restart, also physically, check to make sure the connection in the back of the Cdrom is pressed in securily (sure you've done this). Also when you start the computer make sure the BIOS detects the CDrom, go into the BIOS in gernal setting, if the Cdrom is located on Secondary IDE port, turn that to Auto, if you are not sure, turn all 4 sections to Auto (leave any existing found harddrive settings alone). That way it wont be forcefully turned off.<br>&nbsp;<br>Further Questions, dont hesitate to ask. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML, ASP(somewhat), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

Sherry -<br><br>Have you tried to remove it from Device Manager (system properties) and hit refresh.&nbsp;&nbsp;This will allow Windows to search for it again.&nbsp;&nbsp;If indeed Windows can see it, it will add it right back to Device Manager.<br><br>Also, if you can see it, R click into the CD properties.&nbsp;&nbsp;Double check all settings and drive letters.&nbsp;&nbsp;Perhaps something became corrupt with the crash.<br><br>Hope this helps.

1. Boot to DOS (hit F8 at startup and select Command Prompt only)<br>2. Install DOS drivers via installation disk. Select YES to update config.sys and autoexec.bat<br>3. Reboot and repeat 1. above.<br>4. Watch the screen - any error messages?<br>5. Switch to CD-ROM (e.g. D:). Type DIR; if all is OK re-start and let Windows load and check 8. below<br>6. Error messages in boot or on accessing CD-ROM:<br>7. Correct what is most likely path errors to Driver.sys in config.sys or Mscdex.exe in autoexec. Correct and go back to 3. above<br>7. Still gone - Windows issue.<br>8. back in Windows but wont work - replace the CD-ROM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back