Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cd-rom can't read media

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruxshin

Programmer
Apr 26, 2001
FI
Hi,

My cd-rom couldn't read my CDs at all. It was working fine the previous minute, but the next minute, it couldn't find/read the cd in the drive. The LED still lights up and blinks whenever a cd is inserted into the drive, but then it cannot read the cd inside (as if I didn't insert any cd).

Can anyone tell me what happened to my cd-rom? Is it nearly dead? Can anyone help?

ruxshin

Are you trying to read burned cd's??
What speed is your cd-rom?
Is your cd-rom multiread??
can you read manufactured cd's?(non-burned)

DVannoy
A+,Network+,CNA
dvannoy@onyxes.com

Can't read any CDs. I think the cds are not spinning because I can't hear the whirring noise. Someone suggested to me to clean the capstans (whatever are those) of the cd-rom drive.

Anyone there can explain to me these capstans or tell me how to clean them? Or point me to a site which has a step-by-step guide?

ruxshin

With the price of cd-roms these days i would just go and get a new one...it's not worth the time to mess with cleaning the capstans...you could always try and get a cd-rom cleaning kit DVannoy
A+,Network+,CNA
dvannoy@onyxes.com

my cd cannot even spin, so a cd-rom cleaner cd don't work, unless your cd-rom cleaning kit is something else. Is cleaning the capstans too much of a trouble? I would like to try it out, but not sure how to. Anyone can help?

First make sure the all cables are securely attached to your CDROM drive. If so and it's an older drive (more than 24 months) cleaning and tweaking is only putting off the obvious. It needs to be replaced. The liklihood is you will do more damage probing around in the drive trying to clean the lens/capstan. I have seen 52X drive for as little as $25 US.

HTH

Skeeter73

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back