Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD Recorders?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CC21

IS-IT--Management
Jul 1, 2003
US
Hello all,
I am in the middle of purchasing a CD Recorder and stumbled upon a Sony one. Before I pick it up, I wanted to know if Sony is a reliable manufacturer of CD recorders; if not then can someone direct me towards a quality brand?

THanks Tekkers,
Rookie PC Builder

I would consider Sony a good manufacturer, though when it comes to burners I am kind of old school and use Yamaha SCSI [tongue]

I can't think of a single bad thing I ever heard about Sony Recorder's.

Anyone else know something or hear something different?

Cheers!

As far as main strean writers go Sony are decent enough.
I have the CRX220E1 52x24x52 which is a LiteOn clone (same internals) as so many are these days.
I too have been a SCISI Yamaha user (last two CDRW's were Yamaha's) but to be honest things move along so quickly in computer terms I decided it wasn't worth paying double for the latest Yamaha only to replace it with yet another faster drive 18months down the line.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

I agree with Edemiere.. A good SCSI Yamaha is my personal favorite also... the fact that it's SCSI has alot to do with that.. hehe.

One thing I don't recommend is an HP SureStore. HP make great tape backups, but lousy burners. (My opinion of course). I've had (note the past tense..) 3 HP's with different scenarios and they were nothing but trouble.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

Heh, my current Yamaha SCSI is a 6x4x16, manufactured in 1999! [bigsmile]

I have to say I am pleased with its lifespan and personally having a 6X writer is not bad, because it is installed on my 'dedicated burner PC' so record speed basically a non-issue.

To a large extent, I miss my Yamaha 4X SCSI writer, but I had it in a case that was on the ground and stupid me left the drawer open (which I like never do) and I spun around on my chair and snapped the tray off of it. [sad]

Needless to say, every case I have no sits on desks because of this...

Cheers!

I've used so many different brands, worked with so many different brands, have friends with so many different brands of cdr drives, and never once has any of them seen any problems.

For myself, I try and buy Toshiba drives whenever possible for one simple reason; I hate noisy drives & I know Toshiba's are all quiet. I'm sure a lot of other brands are quiet too, but I just don't spend the time to check them out.

well let me put my two cents worth in here.

I have used TEAC r55 (scsi) worked damn good until the interface card busted... I now use a Fujitsu/Siemens CCR4801-34 a Mitsumi Clone (which by the way recognizes as an HP drive using AIDA) and have an AOPEN CRW3248 (which btw hasn't worked as a Burner to date unfortunately I can't return it since the damn warranty seal is busted)...

BTW - SONY is one of the great grandfathers of the CDROM drive...

Ben

Do you have a DVD drive already? If not, I recommend a combo drive (cdw+rw & DVD read only) for about $99. Or, for a little more money a DVD+RW would be a nice investment. I've had Sony, Toshiba, MicroSolutions, and Samsung drives. I've had good luck w/ all of them.

I have used Ricoh and Sony burners but gave up on the Ricohs after a small number of problems. Never a problem with Sony's. And if their past record is anything to judge by I have never pulled out a dead drive (even CD-ROM) made by Sony.

You get what you pay for in my books - pay a little extra unless you can afford to upgrade frequently.

Peter G

I've had the Sony CD-R drives and now have the DVD multiformat drive. I love it. Check the reviews at sites like zdnet.com, pcworld.com or pcmagazine....to name a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back