Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD read/write drive wont read or stay closed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregFiore

Programmer
Nov 7, 2005
US
5 year old Compaq computer running XP Home.
Lite-On It corp. Rom DVD, CD read/write drive.
CD/DVD drive has been working OK for years.
Now when any CD / DVD is put in tray and loaded,
the drive light blinks normally, but then in
30 seconds the drive opens, nothing on the screen.
Uninstalled CD drive software and verified
in Device Manager that the driver was not there.
Restarted computer but Plug and play did not
find CD...yet when device manager checked,
the driver was re-installed!
Put the CD/DVD drive in another computer and it
works fine!!
Held down the Shift key during CD load...no change.
Could a burner software program be causing the
problem? any suggestions?

Was able to uninstall and reinstall CD/DVD driver for the drive...still doesn't work. The last sucessful write to
the drive was using Quicken. That program has since been
uninstalled...don't know if that would have anything to do with it.
Ran an updated (current) version of Norton, which found
a Trojan horse. It quaranteened it, but said that there
was still a virus in the computer. I read about the virus mentioned in the Thread and it mentions a lot of registry and other things to remove...Is it always this difficult?
Are there some other programs that will remove all the Virus threads and processes without going into the Registry?

GregFiore,

Sorry to hear you had a Trojan, but glad you found it. It is doubtful that removing Quicken would have done anything to affect your hardware. Now that you know the name of the Trojan (look in Norton quarantine), Google it with "removal tool". You should find a tool to take care of removing it without all the hassle. That thread was just a reference to the fact that viruses can cause erratic behavior with a CD-ROM.

As your system has been compromised, I would recommend backing up all files to an external disk, then virus-scanning that disk, then reloading Windows and applications from scratch, then restoring your data. It's a pain but will get rid of all traces of the virus, and probably fix the CD problem too. Once you get bitten by a virus (we all have) you become more religious about updating definitions and scanning for viruses as well as being very, very careful about opening email attachments. You might also want to change any important passwords, especially for Internet banking or credit card sites. Best of luck.

Tony

Thanks Tony,
The saga continues...I took a different CD drive to his computer and it worked fine!!! I completely removed the
old 2004 Quicken and, with the new CD drive working, loaded
Quicken 2004, then did the upgrade to 2007 Quicken. Imported all Quicken data...Quicken is up and running.
THEN...I reconnected the original CD/DVD drive...and guess
what? it works just fine.
I believe that the problem was that Quicken corrupted some thing in the CD software (even though I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver). Once the old Quicken was completely removed and the new Quicken installed the (hopefully) corrupted is gone or overwritten.
The Trojan horse is the Vbsys2.dll according to Norton.
I will check it out and see what can be done to completely remove it...Norton can not completely remove it. The user may have to live in peaceful coexistance with the Trojan !!
Greg Fiore

Here's one solution:

Try posting here:

It seems they have a good community dedicated to virus & malware removal. They might not respond immediately, so be patient. First be sure to download the latest updates and run Adaware, Spybot S&D, and ccleaner:

Then run HijackThis:

and post the logfile there as well as here: forum760

along with a brief description and name of your infection. Nobody should have to live with a Trojan! I certainly hope Norton has successfully quarantined it.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back