Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD not being read 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ednachman

Programmer
Jul 2, 2003
US
One computer reads all my CD's except one. That one CD can be read on another computer. Why is the first computer not reading that certain CD? Has me puzzled. Any help is appreciated.

Enjoy Life, this is not a rehearsal

Brand and Type of CD?

As well as brand of each of the CD drives.

Some drives simply have problems reading different types of CDs or DVD's.

For instance Drive X may read and write CD+R and CD-R of a certain brand, while other CD's will have problems with the same brand.

Also depending on how the CD was burned, some drives may or may not be able to read it correctly.

Older drives may have problems reading newer CD's that where burned at higher speeds.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

There are 5 discs in the set. I tried them all and found that some of them will play but others not. Thankfully I have another computer that will read those discs and through the network can get them onto the hard drive of the other. A little tedious but workable.

Enjoy Life, this is not a rehearsal

I have a hp pavilion a1710n using Vista. My problem is that all of a sudden I cannot use any cd dvd drives. I have installed 3 different ones and none of them work. it sees them, as the light comes on during boot up, but if I put a disk in it, the light flashes for a few seconds then goes out, and nothing is read. i currently put in a Compaq de-rom ltn485 ata. Before that I put in an LG Super Multi DVD Rewriter 22x.(Brand new), and I always get the same results. it does not show up in My computer, but in device manager, it seems to know what is in there, and shows the device. Does anyone know what is happening here? Very confused.

Thanks,

Jediwarrior

jediwarrior,

May the force be with you... No, wait, that won't work. LOL

;p

Seriously, what you need to look for is any startup/automatically running processes/services that have to do with monitoring your optical drive, or else possibly a back-up program. More than likely, you've got something running that is locking up the drive(s). Also another quick way to verify this would be to start Windows in safe mode.

ednachman,

Honestly, the easiest fix without diagnosing your specific issue, I think, would be to create an ISO image of the CD that is problematic on the machine that has no issues with it. Then burn that ISO image to a different brand of CD, assuming it's a burned disk, and try then. If that fixes the issue, then problem solved. You can do the whole thing with one free program called ImgBurn - there are others as well, but that one should do the trick just fine.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Here is the solution for my cd/dvd players not working.

Fixing the problem simply involves deleting the filter entries for the third-party device drivers. These entries can sometimes become damaged (which is why the players burners suddenly don't work.

To delete the offending keys, open the Registry and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SYSTEM, CurrentControlSet, Control, Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. . Delete the keys named UpperFilters and LowerFilters and reboot.

Thanks for the follow-up on your issue, and glad it got resolved.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back