Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD IMAGES - .iso. Can I burn to HD instead of CD ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwunder

Technical User
Jun 2, 2001
GB
I have got a disk image (.iso) that is just over 700MB and wont fit on a CD. Can I burn to my hard drive instead of a CD so that I can use the file ?

Thanks
kwunder

You need a program that will extract the data.
WinISO or ISOBuster will do it.
Download from one of the software houses.

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

This technique is called "Ripping". "Burning" refers to CD writing, FYI! :)

Buy a larger CD format and keep your disk clean, CD's cost peanuts these days.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

I had heard you get bigger CD's than 700MB, but I bet my 3 year old CD Writer won't be compatible.

Thanks to all the rest of you guys. I used Isobuster, but it returned a corrupt file message so I was flogging a dead horse anyway !

Thanks again

A few things -

1) CDMage will fix broken images; Make a copy first, 'cause CDMage fixes images in realtime. (sorta)
2) Did you right-click on the file to see what size it <really> is?
3) Did you try burning it? I had a 720MB .iso burn just peachy; it was only 678MB after burning; Quite a bit of that info is 'instructions' of a sort for your burner.

Aaaand, last but not least, if you decide to burn it, just hit the simulation button first. Most burning apps have a simulation option. Works every time.

P.S. Even if it is too large to fit onto CD, any virtual drive should read it just fine after CDMage is done with it. It may end up bigger or smaller, though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back