Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD Exploded

Status
Not open for further replies.

1zman

MIS
Jan 16, 2003
US
Had a cd explode in a CDRW in one of our machines today. I was wondering if you have seen this happen before?? I have seen a CD come apart and damage the door, but never explode into small chips.

Cleaned the drive, calmed the user and it still works.

Thanks
1zman

I have never seen one explode. I have seen the door open with it still spinning and the CD shoot across the room. Just out of curiosity, What make and model CD-Rom drive was it? It's not a problem...It's just a Blood Pressure Monitor

Never seen it but have heard of it, modern cd drives spin at extremely high speed and any flaw or tiny crack in the disc may cause this. Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.
All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

wlpsyp: The drive is sold by Lite - on LTR401225. Still had my notes from today, got lucky

It's not the drive. Like Mulga said, there was probably some kind of flaw in the CD, most likely a crack. Fast CDROM drives can spin as high as 12,000 RPM's or more when reading CD's. It only takes a small crack for it to quickly turn to shrapnel at those speeds - part of the reason why 52x is as high as most manufacturers will go! ~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Various.... The one that exploded was Hi-Val. We allow them to bring in Audio Cds to listen to. Some people dub their own playlist. The one nice thing I saw, NO Game CDs were found in my short look see. Well, good for the company.....

Advise all users to check all the disc's they use, check around the centre for small cracks, copy and throw away any showing signs of wear.
The simple facts are: cheaper brands are more prone to crack and fail.
You nearly always (99% of times) see signs of failure before it actually happens, and now you are aware of the problem it should be easily preventable. Martin Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Thanks Paparazi;
Already started that with my preliminary check. I will draft a memo and see if the Boss will allow it to be forwarded. Yup he's one of those......

Sorry to jump in here late, but just to make you feel better, I have also seen this happen (a few times).

Time #1-- CD label was put on (very badly) by customer. Label was affixed lopsided, and after getting wrinkles in it, they decided to just affix 2 more (!!!) labels to the top of it.
Time #2-- Turned out that the drive was the culprit. A few CDs exploded before we believed that it was the drive. This occurred with various CDs.
Time #3-- Person decided that since the CDROM drive was capable of reading a CD while the tower was on its side, it would be okay to rotate the tower while the computer was booting from the CD!! Boom!! Mudskipper
-----------------
Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this!
Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

Yes that happened to me too ! with Brand new CDROM installed. I was at customers place with brand new Samsun 52X CDROm. and just out of curiosity of customer I put my VCD in hte drive and in 2 to 3 second I heard noise of some small cracker like from the drive and some burning smell. Immediatly I switched off the pc and then when I opened the drive I got very small small pieces of CD. and they were
so small and sharp One can cut an apple with it : lol

The problem then occured with Drive I could not eject the drive though I was able to Put the CD in. !!!

The reason this happened was my abd VCD. It had some crack on it on the inner circular hole.

So NEVER NEVER put a CD with even little crack in the drive.

I was lucky to get the replacement of the drive but all are not luckey always. ! regards

Apoorva
An [indian] uses [pc2]

What solution I give is according to best of my knowledge and the information / feedback that you provide. So tell us more and we can lead you to right direction.
Internet is a tool respect it and use it for human wellfair.

sheesh , that happened to me not an hour ago! trying to burn fifa2002 , piracy desnt pay :) anyhow was using a burning software called clonyx or something , the freeking drive started spinning abnormally , as i reached to eject the thing exploded , a mean bang , i had to look around to see if there was a sniper in my neighbors yard. it was loud.
funny it happened to a friend of mine a weeek ago , and i couldnt really believe it, but it freeking Exploded. another funny after opening the drive "pouring out" the contents....it still works!! ..i think even better ha ha. btw it is a "justlink" drive made by Ricoh.

i had a cd expolde in my drive before was my own fault though, soundblaster drivers disc was cracked from centre about 3cm but worked.

Re-installed windows out drivers disc it and 30seconds later a quite loud BANG! and grinding noises. Opened cd drawer and lots of platic and foil, along with the centre spindle of the cdrom drive.

1 shattered disc and 1 very broken CDROM drive :s

so now i check every disc b4 it goes in a drive ;)

I had the same with a LG (Former Goldstar) CD-Rom drive.
The drive was starting to spin like a turboprop and i was far too late to even get near the eject button (Was my luck!)
It was a loud BANG! and a few splinters of the CD did lounch through the drive's door outside.
I can tell you, i was really astonished that there is absolutely NO rpm counter and some braking or trimming mechanism inside to prevent such high speeds.
My drive was obvoisly in for a oneway ticket to a dumpster.

Victor.

I recall an amusing webpage about some this. Some techs rigged up a device to spin Discs that could be adjusted. Anything at 52x speed or above caused to discs to shatter and carv chunks out of the ceiling.

I can only assume that this means any Drive claiming to be higher than 52x isn't really that fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back