Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD-DVD Combo Drive - Toshiba 5372 DVD-yes, CD-R/W NO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

whftherb

Technical User
Jan 17, 2003
US
Here's an interesting situation. Have a Toshiba SD-5372 combo drive on a 1Bit MB with an Athlon 64 with XP Pro. Working fine up to about 6 weeks ago when it failed to recognize any CD R/Ws. Insert blank or recorded CD R/W, and the activity light winks about 25-30 times then stays solid until I eject the disk.

I really worked hard on this! Figured it's probably bad media (Sony), so I bought a stack of Maxells and then later Verbatims - still no go. Strangely it will read and write DVD +/- R/Ws labelled from HP and Verbatim plus it will read a variety CD-Rs, both homebrewed and commercially prep'd. No CD R/Ws though. I realize there are two lasers involved. I cleaned the laser with a cleaning disk - no help. I tried a brand new cable - no help. I left the case open all day thinking it was heat - no help. I tried putting it on the Secondary IDE channel - no help. It is the only IDE drive in the system thanks to SATA. I went and purchased a completely new and completely different brand of combo DRIVE!!! Now get this - Same problem with that. Put the Toshiba back in. Uninstalled the Toshiba in Dev Mgr - rebooted - no help and XP did find and locate and successfully set up the drivers as expected. I've completely uninstalled Nero and used the Nero cleaning tool - no help. I've uninstalled Alcohol 120 which then zapped the virtual drive crud - no help. ASPIchk shows no ASPI layer. Flashed the Toshiba firmware to the latest firmware set (TU56) - no help. (Are you noticing a pattern here...?)
Interesting point - when viewed in Dev Mgr, this thing shows two (2) Primary IDE channels and two (2) Secondary IDE channels in the following order top-to-bottom: Pri - Pri - Sec - Sec. I believe that's not right and I also now believe it may be the source of this confounded problem since the newly purchased device exhibited the same problems.

Can the experts here tell me if having a dupe set of IDE channels is right? And how do we get them uninstalled if we suspect that's the CD R/W problem or issue here?

Thank you all! Nice site!

Two other things I forgot: DMA is set to on, on all 4 IDE channels even though two may be bogus. And the IMAPI service is running.

Click on the secondary channels, and see if there are any options that are turned off. I had a problem seeing a CD-ROM in a system, and found the answer there.

-David
2006 Microsoft Most Valueable Professional (MVP)
2006 Dell Certified System Professional (CSP)

OK, now comes a little help from the ABit MB forum. Look at the Standard CMOS settings on the BIOS setup screens. The AV8 motherboard has: IDE Channel 1 Master, IDE Channel 1 Slave, IDE Channel 2 Master, IDE Channel 2 Slave, IDE Channel 3 Master, and IDE Channel 4 Master. Note the absence of slave on 3 & 4 - this must mean these take care of the SATA devices. Indeed the failing drive sits on IDE Channel 1 Master while the SATA HDD sits on Channel 3 Master. I never thought of SATA being an IDE component - before now! I had a suggestion to install the Hyperion Pro Drivers and see if they make any diff. But, no help - combo drive still refuses to recognize CD R/Ws either blank or pre-recorded ones. The updated Hyperion VIA chipset drivers went in, but Windows still shows the old driver set from 2001. Is there anything else someone can suggest I can try? I really miss not having this functionality.

Thanks very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back