Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cd/DVD and CDRW drive not 'seen' in "My Computer" - What's going on? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wordimpact

Instructor
Nov 25, 2002
GB
Symptoms: If I click on MY COMPUTER the A: C: and F: (card reader) drives are 'seen' but not drives D (CD-rom/DVD) or E (CDRW). I note that green light is always showing on E drive and door won't open. Can re-find D drive if I go through "find new hardware process" but it goes again at reboot.

What the hell isd going on? Answers must be simple language please I am NO TECHIE.

Initially I would suggest that the ATAPI driver has been blown away. If this is the case, you can easily get it from the manufacturer's web site. While you're there you might download the latest firmware as well.

Two other possibilities are the IDE cable and the IDE controller on the system board.

Try reseating the IDE cable; and before going out to purchase any replacement hardware, check the BIOS settings. If the BIOS reports the DVD and/or the CDRW drives, then it's less likely to be a problem of connectivity... although I've seen a faulty IDE cable trip up even the best techs.

There might also be a problem at the level of the OS. if this is the case you may have to do one of two things: re-install the OS over the existing format (this should not affect any non-Windows files/apps; or worse, format the drive and do a complete installation from scratch. (Hope this isn't the case.

Good luck

Mick

Complacency is the rigor mortis of the soul.

Re Psython reply to my post (Wordimpact) re CD/DVD & ReWrite Drives problem - thanks for info - cannot follow any of it - as I said I NOT a techy. Don't even know how to reply to you - this is only way I could try!

Has the E drive been just recently installed? If so you may have the ribbon connecter hooked on backwards. Some have a hole blocked in them to prevent this and others have a lump on one side to fit in an open slot to align them. Some have niether. If yours doesn't turn the cable over and plug it back in and see if that works. It would probably be better to just get a new cable and try that first.

One can help many - many cannot help one

Thanks for help from all sources. Got suggestions after I had given up. A mate recommended that I get a new CD/RW - this has cured all probs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back