Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD DRIVE Missing on NT 4 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

AGA

IS-IT--Management
May 10, 2001
AU
I have suddenly lost the CD ROM Drive on Windows NT 4 Server. Is there any services associated to start the CD ROM Drive. Or any other way I can get to see my CD Drive.

Thanks

I lose mine occasionally on an XP Pro client. I have no idea why I lose it but a hard boot fixes it.

Cheers.

I have rebooted the server few times and still the CD drive is missing.

Check all your cables are properly inserted, this is 90% of the cause. Is the CD working if attached to another system? Some CD's actually may require drivers, so check the manufaturers website for more information.

Please address my pet hate, "a cable is loose, you lose your keys

AGA-If this server has been running for a while, the cable may have died or worked itself loose, but you said it was in tight. Try replacing the cable.

Cmegan, your problem sounds like a motherboard issue. Have you replaced the cable? Tried a nother CD ROM drive?

I have no idea if this will help but...I installed NT on a new Dell server. After installation the CD was not available. I looked up the problem on the Dell web site and it was a quick fix. I went to Control Panel/SCSI devices/Add driver and added IDE mass storage device.

I did manage to solve the problem by going on to disk manager and and give it a drive letter to a CD ROM Drive. But before that I had to start the devices CD & CDFS. But thats temperory the moment I shut down and reboot again I have to do it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back