Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD burning trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tikiltd

Technical User
Jan 31, 2001
US
Anyone know about CD burning issues? I did a copy from my D: drive to my E: drive last night for the first time and now my D: drive skips when I play any CD. Clueless. Help? Thanks.

It could be that you are burning the cd at a too faster spped, i had this problem and when i turned the speed down to 4x from and 8x and it seemed to do it ok. I know it takes a little longer but it seemed to work.

Hi. Maybe I should have clarified my drives. I understand how recording too fast can cause skips but what is happenning is my standard cd-rom drive - not the cd-writer - is the one that skips now. I copied from d: (standard) to e: (cd-writer) and now d: skips.

Are you saying that a "music" cd, (not one that you burnt) is skipping when using this drive? If so I would suggest a good cleaning. How old is the standard-cd player?

B-)

Exactly - any music CD I put in now skips. I'm not referring to the CD I copied. It is less than 6 months old and it's a Dell machine - Dell cd-rom. I find it kind of hard to believe that it is just a coincidence that this cd-rom started skipping immediately after I copied from it for the first time.

If I do attempt a cleaning what's a good way? Just a basic CD cleaner from Best Buy or whatever?

I would suggest the standard CD cleaner (From any electronic store). And although this is good general practice I do hesitate to say that this is your problem. It does seem coincidental that your cd player would start doing that after burning one cd. That shouldn't cause any problems. I would say try cleaning it (maybe even a bit of compressed air) and if that doesn't work take more drastic measures.

Best of Luck!
Dan

Putting a cleaning CD into a cd player will not void the warrenty.

You might also want to try different media players...a sound blaster cd player vs. windows media player to see if they both skip...If they do it is probably a harware problem. Windows media player 7 is a resource "hog." If your system is low on resources media player 7 might cause your system to behave erratic.

Alex

That's not a bad idea alex304. I have a powerful machine but I have only tried the music cds on win media 7 - though I've never, ever, had any trouble with it prior to that copy made.

I would suggest the windows CD player. That is one that seems to take very few resources.

If ur running many things simultaneously, eg web-browsing, i would recommend winamp, this is a superb piece 'o' kit, and uses up hardly any resources (i can play cd's thru it, along with about 5 IE windows open, on a 266 with 32mb ram!)

If it doesnt play smoothly thru winamp, it is probably something else.

personally, i have had 2 CD drives that i have 'worn out' just from use, even though i would expect one to last more than 6months! how often do use it, like 24/7 or something?

o yeah, winamp is free from (u guessed it)
.....blah blah.... best of my knowledge, etc. "always in the quest for knowledge, and glad i could help"
If im wrong, its not my fault!

I have a Phillips CD-RW. I have adaptec software
when I try to make a data cd or copy a cd I get this
Engine initialization failed cannot load ACM wrapper

I am experiencing problems with a cd writer, thought you sounded like the appropriate person to speak with..

I am running compaq 4910 266 cpu with 48MB ram

My OS is Win98 2nd edition

I have a creative cdrw 4224e on 2nd ide in master

my hard drive (quantum)is master on the primary ide and my goldstar(compaq cd rom) is slave

Tried copying cd's with Nero 5722 and also with adaptec I continually get buffer under run errors
Tried compiling the same cd to cache and then writing to disc I was able to record 3 songs sucessfully.

when trying to play them back my cd player (stereo or rom) does not detect any thing on the media

when asking nero or adaptec to show cd media properties the disc reads empty sessions are left open for more recording.

I would appreciate any advice you may have and I do understang that you are probably very busy but if you would take a few minutes to assist me I would be greatful.

Ryand@scottsville.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back