Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD Burning Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

naiku

Technical User
Apr 25, 2002
US
I seem to be forever having problems when burning CD's. I use Nero (Version 5.5.7.1) and XP Pro. But most of the time Nero will start writing, get to about 4-5% and then just hang, the "Write" light will be blinking on my CD Writer but Nero just does nothing. If I try to cancel it does nothing, and I usually end up having to restart. Yet sometimes it will burn a CD with no problems, today I burnt 1, then when I tried another it stopped at 4%.

I have tried reinstalling Nero (several times) but have no idea if it is even Nero or if it is in fact a problem with my CD Burner. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it, thanks.

This sort of problem can be down to two other things

1) Quality of CD poor

2) On my Xp installation Nero has a problem writing at speeds over x12. Try setting you writing speed low and see if it works.

Greg Palmer

----------------------------------------
Any feed back is appreciated.

try using the cd burning software that came with Win XP. Just drag and drop files to your cdrom drive in the file manager. If you still have problems then yes, try better quality disks or slower speeds like Greg said. And for sure, don't write at a speed greater than the disk is made for.
Mark

Tip:
Disable the "IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service"
(Start -> Run -> services.msc)

"OSO ZEIS, MATHAINEIS"... [morning]

I have found that if there is any problem with burning, it takes a reboot to straighten things out. Burning has to be the first thing you do and the only thing you do at the time. Also, check the installation instructions - some burners require that it is on a different IDE cable than the hard drive. I have had one that requires the burner to be on the SAME cable.

I am using Imation CD's but have had the problem with several types of CD. Rebooting never usually cures it, just randomly works and sometimes does not. Tried with the drive also on different IDE cables.

Don't think I have ever had a problem using XP built in software though, might try at a slower speed. Thanks for the replies all.

imation CD's are ok and I never had any problems with them so we rule the CD's as the problem. I still think its a win xp problem and that a nice Repair will solve it

Thanks again for replying dwilko, however I have reinstalled XP a couple times and still get the exact same problem.

About the only thing I have not tried is slower speeds, different CD-RW Drive (Last resort that one!!)

Ok I give up, tried at a slower speed. Managed to burn 2 CD's and then the 3rd failed, so over the past couple days I have managed to successfully burn 3 and waste 3 CD's......... 50% success, not what I am wanting.

I think a friend has a spare CD-RW Drive so going to try that and see if it makes any difference, fed up with wasting CD's and having to reboot my computer just to get out of Nero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back