Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD burning issue in Windows& media player 12 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

briteyes

Technical User
Nov 6, 2001
NZ
I used to burn cds/dvds up until Oct last year of my grandchildren.
I find I cannot play any cds or burn any cds. I run windows7, media player 12, all my windows updates are automatic.This is the msg I get when I try to burn a cd
Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or your proxy settings might not be correct.
I am administrator on this pc, but I would not how to change the proxy settings and the file is not in use.
I have been to the microsoft site to run a "fix" as they call it and the result is in the report below.
Powered off and turned off at the power supply before restarting.
Any help would be appreciated before I do a restore back to Oct 2013
Issues found
Your CD/DVD class filter was not recognized
Fixed
Remove upper and lower filters for CD/DVD devices Succeeded

Issues checked
Your CD/DVD device is not recognized
Checked
Drive is disabled (HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50 ATA Device)
Checked
Drive is not assigned a drive letter
Checked
Media in CD/DVD drive is not writable (HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50 ATA Device)
Checked
Drive is not capable of burning (HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50 ATA Device)
Checked
Issues found Detection details

 Your CD/DVD class filter was not recognized Fixed

Your CD/DVD device may not be recognized when plugged into your computer. This problem may occur if upper and lower filters are being used in the registry.

Issues checked Detection details

 Your CD/DVD device is not recognized Checked

Your CD/DVD device may not be recognized when plugged into your computer. This problem may occur if upper and lower filters are being used in the registry.

 Drive is disabled (HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50 ATA Device) Checked

The CD/DVD drive have been disabled in Device Manager

 Drive is not assigned a drive letter Checked

The CD/DVD drive is not accessible via an assigned drive letter

 Media in CD/DVD drive is not writable (HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50 ATA Device) Checked

The drive is empty or the media format is not writable

 Drive is not capable of burning (HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50 ATA Device) Checked

One or more CD/DVD drives are not capable of burning

Detection details

If you go into device manager START type in search bar: Device click on Device Manager from the search items found. Are there any exclamation marks on any of the devices? What is the error code on these devices with the exclamation marks?

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

DVD burners should be identified as a 'DVDW' (CDDVDW for CD/DVD burners), a DVDRAM drive is not compatible with music CDs or DVD movie/data.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Use Nero Infotool to see what it thinks the capabilities of your drives are assuming NO problem in Device Manager. That should be definitive. Cross reference with model number shown in DevMgr to see if the info jives.
Link

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Yes I did the device manager check and no yellow exclaimation marks anywhere.Sorry I should have mentioned that.
Perhaps I will uninstall the cd/dvd drive and reinstall it. Will post results on this thread.
Thank you all

It seems like the original error you've encountered is referring to the file(s) you are trying to copy, not the drive. See if you can make a copy of the files in a new location (copy/paste) and try again selecting the copied files.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Ignore the obvious at your peril.
I have found the problem Thank you all for your suggestions.
I had run low on space on the C drive hence burning the cd was impossible because of this.
I did however roll back the pc to Oct 13 when I last burnt a disk and updated essentials again including AVG which has served me well since 1997.

I also lessened the amount of space available to my system restore as that was what was using up all of the space.
got back 25% of my cd drive by doing the above.
Thank you once again.

Thanks for sharing your solution

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back