Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD burning function turned off 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

spool

Technical User
Jan 20, 2003
US
Hello,

I have been running into this a lot lately. XP computers with DVD and CD burners installed. The apps. that come with these drives turn off the built in burning function/service.

Pinnacle, Roxio, Nero, etc. Every time one of these apps. are run I have to go in and start the IMAPI burning service. I do know that only one off these apps. should be loaded on the system at any given time. So multiple burning apps. is not the problem.

I also know Windows can't burn DVD's yet but the CD burning function is shut down after burning DVD's or CD's.

What I have done:
Start IMAPI burning service again and again and again.
Changed REG settings. The same thing, again and again.
Uninstalled the app. That seems to fix the problem.

I need to resolve this it's becoming a pain. I can show my clients how to get the function back. Then what do they need me for.

Is there another reg fix that can I do to keep this function from being turned off? Or even a .bat that can turn it back on after using these apps.

Thanks, spool

Don't argue with an idiot, he will bring you down to his level and beat you with his experience.

I do know that Nero has its own version of IMAPI and does not rely on the Windows service. I'm not sure, however, if recent upgrades to Roxio 5.x or newer versions like Roxio 6 use it or not.

Are you saying that the end user wants to be able to use XP's built-in feature in addition to the burning app that's installed?

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

cdogg thanks for your reply,

Everyone with DVD burners needs to use a third party app.
but they all like the XP burning function to burn CD's. Drag and drop files and music using WMP.

The problem is that every time any of the mentioned programs are used to burn DVD's it turns off XP's burning and I have to change back the registry settings and start the service.

I'm not really up on scripting but I was just wondering if one can be written to set the registry back and start the service after the DVD app has finished running?

spool

Don't argue with an idiot, he will bring you down to his level and beat you with his experience.

The Imapi Service should just be set to Manual under normal circumstances and require no user action to start it other than using a CD in XP. If it was set to Disabled then you would have to reset it to manual.

What you may find with DVD and CD Drives is that the Properties/ Recording Tab/ check box "Enable CD Recording on this drive" gets switched on and off with various software as you flip between CD's and DVD's.

Thanks linney for the information.

spool

Create a .cmd file with notepad containing one line:
net start imapiservice

You can point the shortcut wizard to this if you like.

bacastner,

Thanks, will this restart the service automatically if the DVD program stops it? Also I would like to keep the programs from changing the registry.

spool

Unless there are other errors, it will restart the service. The registry entries play a less significant role as you are requesting a service start. The registry entries you are changing have to do with the service state at startup.

I did want to make one ammendment to the normal service status of IMAPI under XP. While originally Manual, with SP1 and some later hotfixes the decision was made to make the "normal" startup desposition setting Automatic instead of Manual. This is what I would recommend if you are editing through the Services applet.

Computers are XP SP2. The service is set at auto but the service is stopped. I click on start and the XP burning function works again. Use the DVD burning app after use check service it is on auto but stopped again.

The apps when run at times change the registry so the Burning Tab is missing in properties of the drive. I have to go in and change it back again so the system recognizes the drive as a CD/DVD burner. This is why I was wondering if a script can be written to stop the app from changing the registry or automatically change it back.

Thanks

You do not need a script. As Administrator, right-click on the key (not the values), Permissions, and set the key to read only for regular users.

bacastner that's what I was thinking of doing. I taught that permissions where for users/people not programs.

So if I set permissions to read only to the CD Burning key the program/programs can't edit the registry even if it was loaded by an administrator?

I hope I don't sound stupid here but what Group does programs sit in or do they need to be in a Group to set permissions so they can't edit the registry?

If I set permissions to read only are all programs restricted from editing this key in the registry?

Thanks spool

If you set the Permission to read only, a program cannot change the key or its values.

Just remember you made this change.

Thank you very much bcastner.

spool

It occurs to me that I did not answer your underlying question.

The program runs in the context of the user logon. (Yes, there are token and RUNAS exceptions), but a program is confined by the rights of the user logon.

If you set Permissions on the key using regedit (and you can do this for Administrators as Group), then whoever logs on to the workstation will not have a program able to change the registry entry values.

Thanks Again bacastner. As usual your the man. Where do I send the check?

If your here in the States have a Happy Thanksgiving. If not have yourself a good one.

spool

and a Happy Thanksgiving to you.

Poor linney, as Australia offered its first official Thanksgiving Day this year. On the fifth of May.

I remember thinking he had to roast a wallabee on the barbie.

Best wishes,
Bill Castner

Wallaby - a marsupial similar to, but smaller than, a kangaroo, but much too big to be called a giant rat except on Thanksgiving Day.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Just my 2 cents, not long ago I ran across a bug or variant which caused my CD Burning function to be turned off. It used a registery entery. I ended up running my McAffee in Safe Mode command line to get rid of it. Someone else said they used a reg cleaner.

I wish I had kept more of the info.

Hope this helps

:<}

>-- --<

[worm] Bill [:<}

mtbiker,

I just tried your suggestion. No viruses. Clean as a whistle. My computers are so locked down sometimes I can't get in.

Thanks, spool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back