Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD-Burner Reading/Writing is a hit n miss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharonlover

IS-IT--Management
Aug 3, 2004
US
I have a dell latitude c640 running windows 2000 and roxio 5.3.1.10 platinum.

The user has a cd-rw that has information on it that was burnt from a different machine. The cd-rw will not read in the user's burner. About half of his cd's will not read in the burner, but will read in another machine. Also, the CD-RW mentioned before would not read in any cd-rom, basic or burner, drive.

Any suggestions?

"Why are we necessary?"
"Only to rise up to the challenge"
-Macross Plus-

Try answering these questions:

1) Can the CD-RW disc that you're talking about be read in the original burner it was made from?

2) What software is being used to make the CD-RW discs? I know you said you have Roxio 5 Platinum on the laptop, but what's being used on the other PC?

3) When you say "half of his CD's", what kinds are you talking about? CDR, CDRW, Store-bought, Music, Data, etc?

4) Finally, how are the CD's being made? Are you using the main burning app of Roxio or Nero, or are you formatting the disk to act as a floppy using programs like DirectCD or InCD.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

1. The program "burns" the cd but when you try to read it, it tells you to insert a disc, or other times it says "invalid function"

2. Roxio is the only burning software the company uses.

3. Mostly Data CD's stamped/burnt, r's and rw's. It's sorta of like a hit n miss with them. Though I didn't pay too much attention as to the ones that were working and those that weren't. Some CD-r's read and others didnt', some different brands some the same.

4. Using Direct CD

"Why are we necessary?"
-Macross Plus-

Maybe try cleaning the lens? Could be your not getting the cd's to burn, and read right because of this. For now try this, it's simple.

Jediwarrior.

Yeah, I agree. Try cleaning the lens. I don't usually recommend using one of those cleaning CD's (they can do damage). Instead, just use a can of compressed air to blow out the inside of the drive.

But one thing to note is that DirectCD is only used with CD-RW discs. Also, you would need to use DirectCD again to read them. So as long as it was formatted and created with DirectCD on both PC's, then it should be readable on both. The real question is if it is readable on the PC it was created on. If not, then it would seem like either the disc is damaged or the laser lens is dirty.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

I will give both those suggestions a shot ^^;

Thanks

"Why are we necessary?"
-Macross Plus-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back