Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cd burner not getting information fast enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
A 2x2x6 cdrw drive on the parallel port seems to not get information fast enough on 3 different notebook computers that I have tried. It seems to work fine on a desktop pc that I tried. The error message is that it cannot get information fast enough for it to keep going. I have tried lowering the speed down to 1x but the same thing happens.

Can you help?

Email whit6414@hotmail.com

Thanks, Tim

check port mode in cmos settings for parallel ports
try on ecp or epp mode

I would also take into consideration the amount of RAM that the notebooks have. You are probably experiencing what is known as "Buffer Underrun". This is when the data that is being burned to the CD runs out faster than the RAM can keep it supplied to the burner. If it ever runs out of "Buffered" data, even for a instant, the CD becomes a frisbee. I would recomend installing more RAM but what the other reply mentioned may also help. Be sure to post back here to let us know what happens.

What are the model laptops? Are you burning CD to CD or dumping from the hard drive?

Personally, I would not think the amount of RAM would have anything to do with your issue. Your issue seems directly related to transfer rates.

Take the advice of "bdux" and verify the mode of the LPT port, both in CMOS and Windows (not sure what OS you are using). Depending on the OS, you may also want to verify what transfer mode your CD (internal) and hard drives are using. If available, you may want to enable DMA mode for these devices to increase their transfer rate.

Honestly, I never knew there were parallel port CD burners...I didn't think the data transfer would be fast enough!

You may also want to check for installed Printer or Scanner software that may be hooking the LPT port....

I talked to a techie and he thought that the particular cd burner was not tested for notebook designs. But I still think Why doesnt it work on notebook. I don't think ram is an issue because I tried it on a 128 ram 500 mgtz. Ibm notebook. But it worked fine on a 233 meghtz. 32 ram desktop. I've tried toggling the Dma option in Windows but havnet tried it in Bios yet. I am ruunnnig Win 98 on a 266 notebook computer w/32 meg ram.

And yes the error is buffer underrun. Ive tried cd to cd and hd to cd. but the same results come. The burner will always burn about 1000 somthing k every single time. ive tried different types of burnable cds but also the same results come.

Well thats it

Thanks, Tim

Have you tried defragmenting your hard disk? Also, do you have plenty of space on your hard drive? [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back