Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD burner doesn't burn properly Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilhomesboy317

Technical User
Dec 9, 2005
US
Hi. I've never had this problem before, but for some reason every time I try to burn a music cd, it doesn't play on my cd player. The songs will play on my computer, but on my cd player some will skip alot and others won't play at all. If I try to play it from the cd on my computer, its teh same problem. I've tried burning at different speeds, but it's still the same thing. I tried using nero 7, 6 and windows media player burner. If anyone knows anything, I would really appreciate the help. Thanks for your time.

lilhomesboy317,
The songs will play on my computer,..... If I try to play it from the cd on my computer, its teh same problem
Sorry, which one is it? does it work or not on the PC?

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

I downloaded these songs from limewire. They work perfectly fine on my computer. If I burn then and then play them from my cd player or on my computer from the cd, it will skip or not play at all.

First i would take all those songs and have your antivirus program check them all.
Then i would uninstall the burner software and re-install it. If that failed i would uninstall the burner itself and re-install it. Or you can do both at the same time, which is the way i would go.
For the burner you want to go to dev mgr and delete it from there.
For the software i would use the program uninstall or windows uninstall and then use a registry editor to clean the registry or do a manual cleanup in the registry. Either way, you make a backup of your existing registry before you start and put it on a floppy or cd in case you need it.
Before doing that, though, go to dev mgr and see if there are any marks on your burner or ide controller. If there are you might try doing a repair first and see if that works.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

lilhomesboy317,

Got it.

Try, check what garebo outlined. When sure that there are no conflicts:

1. Try a commercial CD in the player. If that is good:

2. Check your blank media. Many are not certified. Reduce burn speed to the lowest you can select. See if that improves things.

3. Get one or more blanks of quality, and burn at the certified rate or less.

Hope this helps

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Thanks for your help you guys. Unfortunately, after uninstalling and then reinstalling everything, running norton antivirus, and trying out different cds, I'm still haveing the same problem. Do you that this could be a problem with the actual dvd burner? Could it be that maybe the lens has burnt out or something? Thanks.

It certainly could very well be a faulty unit.
Remember that the parts that make up these items are made in countries where wages are a dollar a day. They are made cheaply and put together cheaply. This is not a knock of any country either.
I bet i costs about a dollar to make a cd reader these days, maybe even less. So how much quality can go into them. Plus they are a lot of mechanical parts and mechanical parts do fail.
Is yours under warranty?
If not you could try locating a firware update or even flash it with the original firmware. You would get that from the mfgrs website.

It is still on warranty with Fry's Electronics. I called them and they said that I have to bring my laptop to them and they would do a diagnostic test on it and if they found that it was a software problem, they would charge me $50 for the test (since software isn't covered by the warranty). So I had to be 100% sure that this is a hardware problem and not a software one.

I'm not too familiar with the firmware. How does it work?

Thanks for your time, I really appreciate it.

Cd Burner will not Burn 16X DVD-R Discs.
I have a NEC 3500AG Dvd burner (The retail Version)and it will Burn 4X and 8X -R, +R and RW disc but, the Wife bought 100 16X DVD-R disc on sale and when I try to use these using Nero I am unable to burn to them. Where can I find the Firmware update for this drive. I found the OEM drive upgrade but do not want to make a boat anchor out of the drive. Not shure I can use the OEM firmware with the retail version of the 3500AG. Any help would be greatly appreciated.I get the error " Unable to start one step process"

katman104, its best you start your own thread.
Its much easier for all of us to try and help both you and the other person.

Well, we need to make sure you arent going to waste $50!
So, what is the software you are using? Nero, roxio ?
When you uninstalled the software did you do a manual or software program to delete references to this software in your registry? The reason i ask is that i have found, especially with burning software that, if you uninstall it but dont do a registry search and delete references to this software before you re-install the same software, then issues can remain.

I dont know if you ever checked device mgr to see if there were any error messages, red marks, yellow exclamation?

I have nero 6 and after many unsuccessful attemps I also tried Windows Media Player to burn. I uninstalled nero through control panel - add/remove programs. I haven't deleted anything else. (I don't know how to delete it through the registry search). I did check device manager, and everything shows up fine.

Thanks.

To do it manually, first make a backup of your registry. Put the backup on a floppy or cdr or cdrw.
Then open it and move mouse pointer to shadow the first folder in the registry.
Then use the find feature and use the word "nero". It will search one entry at a time. As long as it says neo you can delete the entry. You will be surprised at how many entries will be there when you have deleted nero, and this is what causes problems as it is and even sometimes with a fresh install as well. But if in doubt with one entry just leave it in.
Keep going until you get no more entries with nero on them and leave the program. I run it twice to be sure.

If you run into trouble you can always put it back the way it was by right clicking on the backup you made.
but as long as you only delete entries with nero on the entry all will be well. I do this all the time after i uninstall a program, i never use registry progs to do it as i believe manual does a better job. Thats just me, though, and you may want to try a program that does this job instead. You can likely google one such program.
You get to the registry by going to run and typing regedit and pressing enter and the exit the same as any other program.
Im suggesting this as a way to try and make sure it is indeed a hardware problem and make sure you dont waste the $50.

Sorry Guys did not mean to butt in placed in the wrong place, Sooooooo sorry.

I uninstalled it the way you said and removed all the registry files. Then I reinstalled it and burnt another cd at the slowest speed. This time all of the songs play on my cd player, but some still skip during play. What do you think could be causing this?
Thanks.

katman104
Poor initial media compatibility of DVDRW drives is not uncommon.
Manufacturers release "Firmware" updates to make a particular model "more" compatible.
If you visit your manufacturers website it is likely that there has been several updates when compared to the one installed on your drive.
Flashing a drive is a simple task but as with all things like this it is not without a small degree of risk.
Connect the drive on it's own IDE channel as master (disconnect all other rom devices)
Download the updated flash and it's utility (usually one file)
Close down all applications and virus software.
Execute file
The old and new files are typically displayed so you can see if the file is indeed an older version and by how many releases.
But to pre-check firmware version go into devive manager, click on DVD/CD-rom drives, click on the correct drive and then click on details to reveal the firmware version.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back