Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cd Buner Detected but can't burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FutureIsNow

Technical User
May 7, 2003
US
My cd Buner is detected in window and on bootup screen but for some reason it doesnt burn or read any disc, after clicking burn it will say no medium or cd in drive.

have you tried a different brand of cds?

and can it read already made original or cdr cds

~Shmoes

I lay claim to nothing and everything. My words may be wisdom or disaster. In the end you make a choice. Noone is perfect.

what is your burning software? is the CD burner newly installed? try going to the website for the software and making sure that the brand is supported and check for any patches.

If it can't read it can't write, the drive may well be on it's way out but cleaning the optics may retrieve it for a while.
I find careful stripping down and physically cleaning of the optics with a Qtip and cleaning fluid the best fix (very careful with the optics) usually takes about 15mins
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

does it happen all the time or with specific programs open? My burner doesn't read or write to RW discs while I am using MusicMatch. Took awhile to figure out but now I know and I just have to close MM and it will work. A pain when I want to back something up quick though.

FutureIsNow,
You're new here, so take this as constructive criticism. You need to include as much of the following information as possible when posting a question:

1) Make/Model of pertinent hardware (motherboard, hard drive, cdrom, etc.)

2) Version of Windows (98/ME/2000/XP)

3) In depth description of what you've tried, how long the problem's been happening, whether it's ever worked, etc.

4) Helpful to state where you've looked for assistance already - have you called their tech support, have you google-searched on the web, etc.

5) Brand names and versions of any other software that might be involved (CD Burning App, Firewall, Antivirus, etc.)

Help us help you
[thumbsup2]

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

If you are running XP, have you tried installing the latest aspi drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back