Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD booter 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubinsky

Technical User
Jun 20, 2005
GB
I have a rather old computer that will not boot from a CD but i want to install Linux onto it, i decided to write a floppy boot sector that would boot my Linux CD. I just need to know how to access my CD, and where to load the CD?

Most linux distro's come with a floppy boot image. You just need to write that to floppy and boot. It'll then find your CD device and off you go.

Trojan.

i tried that...Could you just tell me how to read from a CD?

I guess you have access to a machine that can read CD's with an OS of some kind installed.
Use that to read the CD and create the boot floppy and then use the boot floppy in the really old machine with the CD.
Once the floppy boots, it should load enough drivers to be able to talk to the CD drive directly.

Trojan.

I am a coder, not a TechnicalUser, that was a stupid error when i subscribed to this forum. How do i access the CD drive directly?

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "access the CD drive directly". What are you trying to do? Boot? Read something from the CD? Install Linux? Read the floppy boot image from the CD?

Trojan.

What are you talking about... hooking the interrupt?

You're all looking at this too complicatedly. What you want is a Win98 or ME boot disk. When it boots, select "Start computer with CD-ROM support", and then get what you need or start whichever files you need to. If you can't get a file to start because the whole Windows-->Linux thing I've done here, then try finding the floppy image on your disk for the boot floppy and extract it to the boot disk, then put it on another computer (with an OS) to write. Hope I've helped -- Dev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back