Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD and DVD drives no longer work 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einstein47

Programmer
Nov 29, 2001
US
I had to reinstall Windows XP due to a power supply failure that caused my hard drive to have issues. After many weeks, I have gotten almost everything back, but just recently my CD drive has stopped working.

I don't know what could have caused the driver to become corrupt, nor do I know how long it was that my CD stopped working. It was working when I reinstalled Windows. Let me be more specific: my drive is a LITE-ON CD-RW SOHR-5239V, it has power, it shows up in the Device Manager, but there is a little yellow circle with an i next to it. I have downloaded the appropriate driver (2$E0.EXE), but when I run the file to install the driver it says

"No matched drive detected !
This utility is only for LITE-ON CD-RW SOHR-5239V drive.

Detected drives : "

So, what should I do to try to get my CD drive working again. The Microsoft "Fix-it" didn't help. What other options would you try?

I'm open to anything at this point.

Einstein47 (Starbase47.com)
“PI is like love - simple, natural, irrational, endless, and very important“

Have you tried uninstalling these drives via the Device Manager, rebooting, and letting Windows rediscover them?

You could try this with the 2$E0.EXE file. Try right-clicking on the actual Setup.exe and selecting the "Run As Administrator" option? Do so even if your user is an Admin.

You could see if there are any driver updates AND any firmware update at the manufacturer's site. It might pay to uninstall everything (software and drivers) to do LITE-ON CD-RW SOHR-5239V and reinstall it.

The drive might be broken, can you test it on another machine, or test another drive on your machine?

first of all, can you BOOT with that CD drive at all?

if not, throw the CD ROM out and buy a new one...

other options:

test cables: use a new cable..
check power connector if it is connected firmly...

PS: Windows DOES NOT need drivers for CD/DVD ROMs... so delete that file...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Had one a couple of weeks ago that was much like this but I do not remember if it was XP or not, may have been Vista, anyway I went into the registry and deleted the upper and lower filters for DVD/CD Rom drives, rebooted and all was good. I don't know if this will help but can't hurt.

xit

And the winner is xit!

I did a search for Upper/Lower Filter values, and discovered that deleting the registry value might solve my problem. And it did. I have never messed with the Registry before, so I was nervous, but this was the easiest solution I have ever found.

Thanks again, xit - you ROCK!

hmmm, strange...

you mentioned: The Microsoft "Fix-it" didn't help.

which led me to believe that you attempted that in the first place... Guess I should've asked, instead of assuming that (the FixIt I had in mind does exactly what XIT suggested)...

but I am glad you got it solved...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Einstine47, glad it helped & Ben I also tried the MS Fix-it to no avail, but this worked for me.

I had assumed that the Fix-it would have taken care of the Upper/Lower filters. When it did not, I thought there must be something else involved (bad cables, poor connections, missing driver, etc.) The Fix-it could have deleted the Lower Filter and then told me to reboot, and I would have had a working CD drive days ago. Oh well - it is all water under the bridge now.

Last night I tried using my CD drive for an audio CD - and it had the error again. So I looked and the stupid "LowerFilter" registry entry was back. I deleted it, rebooted, and then I was able to use my PC.

[red]What gives? What would be putting that "LowerFilter" value back in the registry against my wishes? Any suggestions as far as what to look for?[/red]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back