Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCNP Routing lab equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

webnetwiz

MIS
Mar 30, 2001
US
I guess I'm lucky that my company has accumulated some Cisco gear over the years, and I am the "Cisco" guy at this place. In any case, I just took my Switching and passed it, but I want to make sure I nail Routing, simply because I want to know how it works (in a lot more detail than a CCNA course would provide).

Here's what I've got:

1. A 2610 w/ 1 WIC-1DSU-T1 and Ethernet, running IOS 12.2.1B, w 24Mb RAM and 8Mb Flash.

2. A 2620 w/ 1 WIC-1DSU-T1 and 1 WIC-1T, and FastEther, don't have the IOS version or memory specs on hand, but assume it's the same as 2610 with some flavor of IOS 12.

I currently have the two 2600s connected through a CSU/DSU loopback cable (they can ping each other's serial interfaces)

3. An AS2511-RJ, with 16 RJ45 Async ports, 1 serial interface, 1 Ethernet, configured for modem on AUX. This one has 8mb flash and 8mb RAM, running IOS 12.0 with Remote Access feature (c2500-c-l.120-24.bin).

4. 2 1720s with no WICs, one running IOS 12.1(5)(YB1) and the other running 12.2.1, both with 32Mb RAM and 8Mb flash.

I was thinking of getting a DB60 crossover cable to tie in the AS2511 to the 2620, but what should I get for the 1720s?
Oh, yeah, I've also got a spare 2950 switch to play with, along with a 2912 (or 2924).

Also, I'm lucky enough to do an ISDN implemetation in a few days at a remote site, using another 1720 that'll tie into a 2620 at the main site (can't wait, love this stuff)

Also, got a set of PIX 515s (primary and failover), and a PIX 506 that I can place somewhere in this setup (just for kicks though, no need to really complicate things.)

In any case, this post is long enough, please share your thoughts with me, wise masters of Cisco kingdom (damn I'm in a good mood)

As nobody but the court jester, I would offer up that you are short a few pieces of equipment. While you have an impressive list, you are short something like a 4500 with 4 or more serial ports to act as a central *wan cloud*.

router1-----------S0/0 - cloud (4000 series router)
router2-----------S0/1
router3-----------S1/0
router4-----------S1/1

Now you have the cloud for BGP or a mixed BGP/IS-IS/OSPF etc. In my lab I have a 4500 like this plus a 6 port ether card.

MikeS

Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

I was thinking of adding a 4-port serial network module (NM-4T) to the 2620, and then just get a few WIC-1Ts for the 1720s, that way I would have the 2620 as the WAN cloud, question is, can the 2620 be used in such a manner?

webnetwiz,
yeah the 2620 can definitly be used for a frame switch. I personally would hate to use it for that because you can pick up a 2521 for so cheap (under 300) but I guess you use what you have. It's good to hear that your getting the isdn experience as thats what is killing me. Im about to take my BCRAN with NO isdn experience and the line sim's are so much $$$. I'm trying to emulate DDR with a 2610 and a 1601 with a couple of USR external modems. This is a pain though due to the chat scripts etc. Anyway, Good luck with your studies you seem to be in pretty good shape.
jdl

I have to agree the serial adapter for the 2600 would be expensive. I got the 4500 cheap and the 4 port adapters were something around 300 for the four ports.

If you want the cheapest way to connect on the 1700s.. think about the 56K switched link cards. Nobody wants them to speak of but they are an intergrated T1 type interface that can be cross connected via a simple rollover cable. And in the lab, 56K is fine.

What I did was to draw out all my equipment and then map several Cisco Academy labs to my equipment. After several tries I came up with a very flexible solution and the shopping list of extras I needed to build it out.

MikeS

Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

I might be able to get my employer to pay for the 4T card because we use these for our WAN connections to carry both voice and data, and we don't have any spares. I'd rather spend a little extra on something I can either re-use or re-sell later, without loosing too much value, rather than get an older router that can really be only used for a lab (like the 4500) and not be re-used somewhere in production environment. In any case, I gotta see what my employer will say.

Is there any other equipment that you guys recommend?

On an unrelated note, today was the ISDN install date. What a nightmare. First of all, telco didn't have the cable dropped from the punch down block to the rack at main site. So got that within about an hour. Found out that all the SPIDs configured for this setup were old, so had to change that on both routers (no big deal), then get out to remote site, and the line isn't coming up. Apparently, the ISP has provisioned the ISDN line from our main site to their CO, but not from the CO to the remote site. Wasted like 2 hours. Ugh. More pain coming ...

Found this info on Cisco's site, correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like I won't be able to get the NM-4T working in a 2600 chassis, according to this
Am I correct in guessing that I'd have to go for either an NM-4A/S, or an NM-2W and 2 WIC-2Ts? So many choices, and such a small budget :(

I have to laugh at the comment of not using the 4500 in production networks. That was and still is a high end router in many production networks even though it's EOL. It's biggest problem was the footprint in the rack and it was a pain in the butt to upgrade at times.

If you could swing an ISDN simulator that would be great. I have one and it was invaluable in my remote access labs. I use it to dummy up links for work so my routers can be config'ed before the telco folks come by.

Piles of patch cords and RJ45 ribbon cables for the termserver are nice to have.. A couple of 2900s are very usefull since you can VLAN off groups of ports and have several logical switches on the network. I have a Cat5K which I was weak on when I did my switching but is it required? possible not but then they are so cheap nowdays. It is a beast to have sitting in the rack.. and heavy too ;)

MikeS

Find me at
Sun Tzu

The irony of fate: I got the lab almost 50% hooked up, and got laid off on Friday. At least I passed Switching.

Sorry to hear that... good luck on your CCNP studies

Burke

Bummer news.. the good news is the economy is picking up a bit or at least here in SoCal it is.. I see more jobs on some of the site lately then I've seen in the last several months so in places it's coming back to life slowly.

MikeS

Find me at
Sun Tzu

Thanks for the support, I see that trend as well. At least this will give me enough time to bury myself in the routing exam book.

hi

we got temporary internet through dsl + access point netgear me102 + laptops; everything works fine.

but now we need to forget about the dsl line cause we got a t1 line (split voice data). i can get out pluging myself into a netgear switch and setting my nic with one of the ip address and subnet mask that t1 provider gave me.

the problem is they gave us a subnet mask that is not 255.255.255.0, which is the subnet mask of the access point THAT I CAN'T CHANGE. so access point must receive ip by dhcp.

we do have a cisco router 2600.

how can i set ip address and subnet mask on that cisco router 2500? and set it to dhcp?

can i do it all through hyperterminal?
with what kind of cables? can i use some kind of software based configurator for dummies?

thank you for any tip or any link to an "howtostepbystep" page.

yaz

Hi Webnetwiz. I passed my CCNA and am now on the road to studying for my CCNP. I am going to tackle the routing test first and since you nailed it, mabe you can give me some advice on it ?? I am going to be studying very hard the remainder of this year and next year for my CCNP and CCIE written. Any advice - direction you can offer is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Build a lab if you can, nothing beats hands-on work with real equipment. If you can't build a lab, than buy some rack time from places on the net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back