Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCNP Route Redistribution

Status
Not open for further replies.

justvistin

Technical User
Dec 8, 2001
GB
Hi All,

Attempting the CCNP Academy course and I've hit a section I'm just not grasping. I can understand what the course is saying, but not WHY. If I don't understand the reasoning behind it, I feel I wont be able to apply it.

Section 5.2.3 Redistributing Routes from Classless to Classful Protocols advises:

'A common problem with redistributing routes between RIP and OSPF is that RIP does not advertise routes out an interface if those routes are on the same major network, but have a different mask than that particular interface.'

See for a scenario.

I feel I'm missing something basic here (and possibly obvious!). Anyone able to offer an explanation ?

Thanks in advance.

I'm a little rusty on redistribution, so hopefully I won't add to your confusion. What I'm seeing in the example, is specifically RIPv1 which will not be subnetted beyond the class A/B/C masks.

I'm betting (haven't labbed it myself) that if you were to setup a router similar to the one in between the OSPF and RIP networks, and setup the routing, a "show ip route" will show a route for 128.103.88.0/24 via rip. And it will only want to see a 128.103.35.0/24 redistributed from OSPF into RIP.

RIPv2 would change this as well, I believe.

Hi Lerdalt,

Thanks for responding.

I understand that as RIP v1 is classful it would only 'want to see' a 128.103.35.0/24 route, but I'm not grasping why the longer subnet mask on OSPF size of the network (/28) stops the GW-2 router from redistributing the route into RIP alltogether ?

The implication in the text is that if the subnet on the OSPF side was the same as the RIP side (ie /24 on both) the problem woudln't arise.

hopefully a full understanding of the process that RIPv1 goes through when sending/receiving route updates will clear things up bit.

the process that RIPv1 goes through when deciding to send an update is:
•Is the subnet information part of the same major net as the interface that sources the update?

?No: Router 1 summarizes at the major net boundary and advertises the network.

?Yes: Does the network have the same subnet mask as the interface that sources the update?

?Yes: Router 1 advertises the subnet.

?No: Does the network have a /32 mask ?

?Yes: If it is RIP, then the network is advertised. If it is IGRP, then Router 1 drops the network.

?No: Router 1 drops the network.
When receiving an update:
•Is the subnet received in the update on the same major net as the interface that received the update?

?Yes: Router 2 applies the mask of the interface that received the update. If the advertised network has a host bit set in the host portion of the update, Router 2 applies the host mask (/32). In the case of RIP, it continues to advertise the /32 route to the subsequent router, but IGRP does not.

?No: Do any subnets of this major net already exist in the routing table, known from interfaces other than the one that received the update? The network in this update should be a major net unless the link between the two routers is an unnumbered link, in which case it is possible for the update to contain subnet information.

?Yes: Router 2 ignores the update.

?No: Router 2 applies a classful mask. If the update came across an unnumbered link and contains subnet information (bits in subnet portion of network are set), then Router 2 applies a host mask
Here's the full text directly from Cisco:
I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back