Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCNP recertification advice 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdc1973

Technical User
Jul 7, 2003
GB
My CCNP is up for recert soon and I took the exam last week to get a feel for it. I did a bit of reading up, but not nearly enough. I got 709 (732 is pass) so I'm not far off, but was wondering if anyone out there has recently taken (and passed) the exam- if so, what study materials did you find the most useful? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm getting close to the expiry date!

It is also time for my CCNP Recertification.
Do you know what is the Current CCNPR (Recertifiacation)
Exam # 642-???
Thanks
Sarkis

It's 642-891 Composite for recertification.

I wouldn't know about its content. I only have taken 642-801 BSCI and currently studying for 642-811 BCMSN.

I am also recertifying the CCNP in 4 months.

I have looked into study materials and saw the CCNP Certification Library for 100 bucks.

Has all four of the updated books for the new exam.

Since I have not really used much of my CCNP I need this to be a good refresher also.

Has anyone used these books, did they help you pass the recertification test?

I don't mind investing the money if these books are good.

I've taken and passed the 642-891 about October last year. It's a pretty brutal test in length and content. I did it to get my CCNP and skip 1 test. Best advice I can give is get a testking from testking.com and go over it 3-5 times cover to cover then take the test few hours after you go thru it the last time. When you get into the test before you start write down everything you can remember. Fill up the space your given with notes if you can. Then start the test and refer to your notes for help.

Well, sorry I can't help. I have one more test (CIT) to get my CCNP. Should be ready the beginning of March.

SpudNuts(ITC), USN(Ret), CCNA, BSCI, BCRAN, CST

Hi All

I did the CCNP recert 642-891 last week. As excalibur says, it is brutal.

Passmark was 755, from 88 questions in 2 hours. The ospf simulation I found especially challenging.

I used BCSI study guide (ISNB 0-7821-4293-1) from Sybex and BCMSN Exam Cert guide (1-58720-077-5) and CCNP Flash Cards (1-58720-091-0) from Cisco Press. These are all new publications (Nov. 2003 or later) to cover the updated exam, and there are some problems with the some of the simulations & test questions, particularly on the Flash Cards.

I am told that (some, at least of) these will be amended in the next printing.

That said, the text is good on all of them.

EB

"The most powerful command you will ever use is rtfm"
EB

Thanks for the info, im about to take my exam. I will go over OSPF one more time.

hi All,
I've passed BSCI last year .But it did not upgrade my ccna as I took the exam 640-901 ....so pls tell me if I take new 642-811 exam will it upgrade my ccna for 3 yrs ??
another thing ...could u pls tell me any preparing help for BCMSN ...I have dumps and BOSON for it to prepapre ...are those enough ?
Looking for your help ..
Indiancracker

Indiancracker,

I believe that any 642 exam that you take will recert you NA for 3 years. I passed BSCI(642-801) a couple of weeks ago and that certainly recerted mine.

Cheese

ccna to expire at the end of the year, if i take one CCNP exam will it validate my ccna and prevent it from expiring and if so what is the recommended, when studying i find the material on switching to be the easiest, but i work in troubleshooting WAN connectivity so I am thinking about remote access exam, can anyone recommend????

To renew a CCNA with sth else than the CCNA exam, you must pass a level 642 exam (commonly BSCI, BCMSN, BCRAN or CIT, etc). Look it up on Cisco's web site.

I wouldn't recommend taking the Composite. I've done it myself and yes, the others are right, it is quite brutal...esp. when you do it to skip an exam.

An easy thing to would be to do BCMSN. It's basically all about switching. Of course, the most interesting part of CCNP (imo)is routing, but if you need to fix this thing quick, switching is the way...

I'm currently studying for BCRAN and to tell the truth I don't think the variety of subjects covered in there are easily covered within your time frame...Though your time at work must be spent troubleshooting FR and/or broadband, there is also VPN,NAT and queueing that are covered by this exam...

Of course I'm working more with switches than WAN techs, but that's my 2 cents...

M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back