Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCNP, CCSP, or MCSE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zepharoo

IS-IT--Management
Jul 21, 2004
US
I would like to get your thoughts on which professional level certification to pursue. The MCSE, CCNP, or CCSP? I realize this is sort of a broad question, but here is my situation below.

I am employed as a Network Engineer by a major MSO and I have lots of experience with Cisco (i.e. GSR12000, 6509, etc.). You name the type of Cisco device and I guarantee you I have put my hands on it.

I currently hold a CCNA & CCDA and I would like to get a professional level certification, but here is my dilemma. In my geographical area (Louisiana), jobs that require Cisco experience or slim-to-none. The majority of the jobs in Louisiana require you to have an MCSE b/c they are almost all Client/Server type environments.

My company is very unpredictable and my job is unstable. Corporate Executives send down the order to chop jobs about once every 3 months, so it is just a matter of time for me.

Which cert do you think would be most valuable to an employer in your area? Any advice and/or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

-Zepharoo

I too live and work in Louisiana and echo your findings in regards to the job opportunities for Cisco certs being slim. It has been my experience as well that when looking for jobs, those wanting CCSP or CCNP are few and far between, while most want an MCSE canidate.

I hold my MCSA and CCNP certs and at this time I have just started working on my CCSP.

I think the answer to your question as to which certs, Microsoft or Cisco are best to pursue in Louisiana, depends on what matters most to you. If you're looking for a wider range of job opportunities, I'd go with the MCSE. I'm pursuing my Cisco certs, because quite honestly, I enjoy working with the Cisco Networking envirnoment more than with the MS Server Admin stuff. I just have to accept that my job choices are few and far between.

That said, It's been my experience that there are not alot of Cisco certified professionals in Louisiana, so the CCNP or CCSP, does set you apart from the crowd, while it seems like just about everyone has the Microsoft certs.

Network Admin
MCSA, CCNP

jsstandl,

It is good to hear you are from Louisiana. Do you mind if I ask what part? I'm in Slidell, Louisiana.

I am really thinking about indulging myself in the CCIP and then to VoIP. But, I told myself I had until after the new year to decide what I was going to do. CCNP & CCSP certs are great, but I have more hands-on experience with Service Provider type environments. Telephony has to be a good technology to learn according to articles I have read.

You are in a really good position having your MCSA & CCNP. If worst comes to worst and the job market for Cisco Professionals just falls through the floor, you can always find a job in a MS environment.

I would like to get your email address, but I am not allowed to post mine on this site. Any other ideas?

-Zepharoo

I would go with your CCNP. Shows you have advanced networking knowledge and you have proved this with your experience, and are willing to sit for the certification on it. Even if jobs are only asking for CCNA's, you will have a leg up with your advanced CCNP in that position.

By the way, you mention a CCDA, curious why you pursued this after your CCNA instead of CCNP? And what type of positions usually require a CCDA, and what advantage/skill set do you feel this cert brings you? Also, how was the CCDA exam?

To be quite honest with you, I feel the CCDA exam is useless. I pursued the CCDA exam b/c part of my job is to not only implement high-end networks, but also to design them. I have found through experience that if you know how to implement a network than you most likely have the ability to design it also.

The CCDA exam was not very hard in my opinion. It had very basic subnetting questions and self-explanatory design questions. The only trick is that you have to learn how to design networks Cisco's way, which may contradict your opinions on how a network should be laid-out.

I appreciate the post and the advice....

-Zepharoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back