Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCNA - Subnet with Calculator? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwolf52

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2002
US
Do you get the use of a calculator for the subnetting secions of the CCNA? I have been studying off and on for about 4 months and I feel like Im in good shape for everything except the subnetting. I need to cram again because I keep having to re teach myself. If I can use a calculator Im in good shape.

Thanks in advance

As long as you consider your head or piece of paper to be a calculator!

I just took and passed the CCNA 640-607 on Monday, and there were a bunch of subnet questions. Make sure you know how to do them. It is not hard, it just takes practice.

IPSI

subnetting it THE MOST important subject in CCNA test. if you are shaky...now is the right time to start understanding.

oh, by the way, only thing they allow you to use that is even remotely close as calculator is a piece of markerboard and a marker. (jeez they didn't even give me a tissue :) )

How many total questions is the test?

and any idea on the amount of IPX?

Thanks

you need to solve 60 questions (ballpark figure) within 90 minutes for CCNA.
most of them questions are multiple choices and if you are equipped with enough knowledge, each question will not take you more than one minute. use that 30+ mins on 2 simulation questions which can be quite strenuous at times.
once you've answer the question you are not allowed to go back. it's cisco way of saying "hey get on with your live!"

from my knowledge the new 801 no longer contains IPX.
instead they included single area (link-state) ospf and (hybrid) eigrp routing protocols.

I have been studying using the CCNA Exam #640-507 Sertification Guide, it appears that it is really behind the current test. What would you recommend as THE book to read before taking this test.The 507 book is full of IPX so I dont want to waste time studying that and miss out on other material that they replaced it with.

thanks

hmm...never seen questions from 507 exams...

There seems to be many good books out there but i've used CCNA Self-Study Interconnecting Cisco Network Devices by McQuerry to pass the old 607 test. That book is pretty helpful.
Since the new 801 test discards IPX and adds OSPF and EIGRP, you need to learn about this from some other source. I'm not even sure Cisco Press came out with the new CCNA study material, but all i can suggest is CCNP Self-Study: Building Scalable Cisco Internetworks (BSCI) by Teare by Cisco Press. you can just read about EIGRP and OSPF. or if you can find an good online site with linkstate routing note, that's good as well.

Sybex CCNA study guide by todd lammel is said to be the best. the new 4th edition covering the 640-801 exam is hitting book stores on the Oct 27th. I Pre-ordered mine from amazon
check out the reviews of the previous editions.

Editorial Reviews
Book Description
The unsurpassed CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate) Study Guide, for five years running, has been updated for the latest CCNA exam (640-801)! Brought to you from Sybex and globally renowned Cisco authority Todd Lammle, this fourth edition of the revered guide maps directly to the new, expanded exam objectives. The companion CD includes an advanced testing engine containing all chapter review questions and two bonus exams, plus 250 flashcards for PCs, Pocket PCs, and Palm devices! The entire book is also included in PDF. It's clear that years of dedication and expertise stand behind this supreme study aide for Cisco’s popular CCNA certification exam.

thg711,

that sounds mighty tempting...is there one for CCNP as well? :)

As far as the CCNA books go for the new 640-801 exam (or the 640-821 and 640-811 combination which is now available) I recommend the Cisco Press CCNA Self-Study books. I am currently studying for the 640-801 exam and these books are very well written and easy to understand. They also come with a LE version of the Boson NetSim to practice the labs on. The price is not bad either, around $50-60 for the pair of books. The ISBN # are 1-58720-094-5 and 1-58720-083-x . I have been studying for about 1 month now and figure I should be ready in about 1 more month. The subnetting example are very easy to understand as well. Plus, you might want to look on the web for a coupon for the books (the reason I bought them is I found a 40% off coupon for Borders...so it ended up costing me only around $25 or 30 total!!!). Hope it helps you.

I can recommend the new ccna library as well (the one by Wendell Odom). If you go to Barnes and Noble you can get it for 42 dollars for both the books in a cardboard box set. B&N have supposedly added some additional material as well. The box set states B&N special edition.
The list price for this is 59.99 so you save almost 20 dollars.
Going to take test on friday.

I just bought the new Sybex book yesterday.

I will let you guys know how it is.

Definitely tedd lammale books are great ,i guess its a better idea to join some site like "how2pass",i joined
for $40( worth every penny ) , they have collected questions from a lot of places. Insted of collecting all books i suggest u to have one tedd lammale book and join any such sites.There are many
but i may refer u to "how2pass.com" .i passed 607 exam with 974.I am not sure how there collection is for new exam.
I read lammle ,lot of lab work,practised questions from this site,subnetting ( once u practice
it its easy, i did not even use my pen and paper directly did them, most of questions were familiar ,have those charts ready, memorised thats it).

I purchase the Sybex book form Todd Lammale as well. All I can say is his book covers a lot in each chapter. Time for chapter 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back