Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCNA Semister 4 but going blind

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveAudus

Technical User
Oct 4, 2001
GB
I am just starting Cisco CCNA 4: v2.1.4.
and I'm fed up with reading all the chapters online.
I'm getting headaches and I'd like to be able to study
offline.

Can any suggest a Book with all the Semester 4 text
and information, that also covers the semesters 1,2 & 3
for revision.

Many of the books I have looked at are not layed out in the same chapters or semesters as the CCNA course.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Steve Audus

A better method would be to get the CCNA Prep Exam Book by Wendell Odom, contains everything YOU need to take and pass the CCNA exam. Also, consider the boson exam series for getting practice exams ($40 apiece), good prep for the real deal.

Just to add in, that Wendell Odom CCNA Prep Exam Book was probably the best technical writing book I've ever read. It wasn't super dry (like most) and didn't have as many mistakes as the CCNP BCSI Prep Book by Claire Gough. I was highly recommend that Wendell Odom book as it gives teachs you the content for CCNA but gives you a nearly complete view of all the topics it covers. Great Book!!

Burke

And why study the v2.1.4. when v3.0
and v3.1 are available????
(3.1 only as online yet...)

Are you sure?
Check under : Resources - Course Materials
on your "ACADEMY CONNECTION"
I have version 1.0 , 2.1.4 , 3.0 and 3.1
on my connection.
Why should you be forced to use old
material when they have never?

Just an FYI, if you study v2.1.4, make sure you get the voucher to take the 640-607 test. I finished up in the Cisco Academy last December and got caught up at work and wasn't able to take the test until the beginning of April, and my first voucher had expired (I received my voucher before they put out the extension) so I couldn't sign up for the 640-607 exam. Not wanting to wait 2 more weeks (yeah, I know I already waited 3 months), I decided to take the 640-801 exam. One BIG difference between 2.1.4 and 3.0 is that they don't show you how to configure OSPF in 2.1.4, they only tell you a few characteristics of it. I had an OSPF sim on my test, but because I had already started studying for my CCNP it wasn't to bad.

Don't let this discourage you, just stay on top of things and study hard and practice the commands.

Chris
CCNA, A+

And on the new 640-801 test you can forget about IPX, now it's all IP.

I had the same problem, started the academy two years ago, and finally finished semester 3 one month ago. I did not want to spend more time going through class, so I picked up the books and passed my 640-801 today with a 870; and it was by far the most difficult I ever had!
With the new version, you get a heavy load of ospf, acl and subnet.
From what I understand, in order to take the old CCNA (640-507?) you have to do it before July of 2004, so if you are not planning to take the test in the next few months, I suggest drop the material on v.2.1.4; and start reading the new versions, because I can tell you the new test is quite different from the old one.

I started to study for my CCNA exam like 1 year ago, then I got a job and I didn’t have time to continue. I have Sybex Todd Lammle’s book for Exam 640-507. You mean that this book is not good anymore and I can toss it away?
Or I can still study on it and then to see the differences with a newer edition?

Hi popescul,

I would pick up the new edition and use the book you currently have for reference. That book is 2 test revisions behind, and I believe it puts a bit of emphasis on IPX which is not covered on the 640-801 text. It also doesn't cover any configuration of OSPF which is hit on 640-801 (I had an OSPF simulation).

I wouldn't toss the book just yet, but I would definitely pick up the new edition.

Know your subnetting backwards and forwards!!!

Hope this helps.

Chris
CCNA, A+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back